Linda Finley represents and defends mortgage lending and servicing clients in litigation concerning residential mortgage transactions, including lending liability, state and federal regulatory compliance and real estate title issues.
Partnering with Baker Donelson’s industry-leading Knowledge Management Team, Ms. Finley led the Firm’s creation of a tailored, web-based tool that allows for the strategic management and reporting of significant portfolios of borrower litigation.
She is the former chair of the Firm’s Consumer Financial Litigation and Compliance Group. Ms. Finley has experience in:
- Consumer-related litigation matters and class-action defense as well as extensive first-chair trial work
- Issues arising from default services including foreclosure, bankruptcy, defense of wrongful foreclosure and defense of predatory lending allegations
- Creating internal QC/QA training and review for mortgage servicers
- Mortgage fraud civil prosecution and defense
- Real estate title clearance and litigation involving title clearance
Ms. Finley also serves as a court appointed Special Master for purposes of adjudicating litigated real estate title issues. She is a frequent speaker regarding mortgage lending and servicing issues, and is called upon by clients as well as by law enforcement and prosecution offices to provide training on various topics including mortgage fraud investigation and prevention, quality control and loss mitigation.
Before entering private practice, Ms. Finley served as an assistant district attorney for Atlanta, Georgia, and was tasked with the prosecution of major felonies.
- Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law, J.D., 1981
- Mercer University, B.A., 1978
- Georgia, 1982
- Florida, 1986
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Middle Districts of Florida
Representative Matters :
- Represented a client in a large scale mortgage fraud matter involving more than 250 loans, and in that same matter, worked with federal prosecutors to assist in the investigation and federal prosecution of the perpetrators.
- Defended numerous mortgage clients against allegations involving regulatory issues such as RESPA, TILA, FDCPA, TCPA, HMDA and CFPB non-compliance.
- Defended lender in a class action suit which alleged improper application of mortgage fees in bankruptcy claims.
Professional Honors & Activities :
- Named to Georgia Trend Legal Elite in the area of Bankruptcy/Creditors’ Rights, 2009 – 2011
- Member – American and Atlanta Bar Associations
- Board Member – Georgia Real Estate Fraud Prevention and Awareness Coalition, 2006 – 2008
- Fellow – American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- Former Assistant District Attorney – Major felony prosecution, Atlanta, Georgia
Rate : $$$$