Lisa C. Mays is an associate in the Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade Practice Group in the firm’s Washington D.C. office. Ms. Mays’ practice focuses on international trade compliance and investigations.
She advises clients on U.S. sanctions; U.S. export controls, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR); the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA); U.S. Customs; antidumping and countervailing duties (AD/CVD); the False Claims Act; and Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). In addition, Ms. Mays has experience with anti-money laundering (AML) and anti-boycott compliance.
Ms. Mays counsels companies in various industries including aerospace and defense, aviation, education, financial services, healthcare, hospitality, manufacturing, and technology. Prior to her career as an attorney, Ms. Mays worked for cloud-based startups in Berlin, Germany.
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 2015
- B.A., University of Southern California, 2010
- District of Columbia
- Obtained approval from Department of Commerce to enable German construction and engineering firm to operate in Cuba
- Assisted in internal investigation and disclosure of encrypted software exports resulting in closing of Department of Commerce case without export penalties or monetary damages
- Performed due diligence enabling private equity firm to complete acquisition of defense and security business of a defense contractor
- Assisted U.S. beverage company with Customs classification and country of origin marking of beverages under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
- Counseled Australian company on rules of origin under the U.S.-Australia Free Trade Agreement (USAFTA), and assessed Customs exposure risks
- Prepared expert report for non-U.S. aviation company regarding sanctions issues for British arbitration
- Assisted U.S. entity in CFIUS submission regarding sale to foreign investment fund of infrastructure assets
- Counseled military mental health services nonprofit organization on compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Supported in the defense of Fortune 500 company in False Claims Act suit related to alleged General Services Administration (GSA) non-compliance
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, International Law Committee, Co-Chair 2016-2018
- California State Bar
Rate : $$$$