Lisa Montgomery Shelton’s practice focuses on environmental health and safety counseling, compliance and liability. In Chambers USA 2018, her clients say she is, “very knowledgeable, responsive and pragmatic, with good commercial awareness and advice.”
As a former in-house counsel for a Fortune 100 company, she leverages her extensive experience analyzing environmental health and safety concerns associated with corporate and securities matters as well as transactions involving contaminated properties, including Brownfield redevelopment.
Lisa works with a broad array of industries, from chemical and semiconductor companies to the full spectrum of energy companies, from coal and oil and gas to renewables and clean fuels such as solar, wind and bio mass projects.
She has worked with industry associations and companies to address air, waste, water, wetlands and toxics issues in permitting, enforcement and regulatory forums. Her work includes the development of global compliance and environmental health and safety management systems and performance of environmental health and safety audits and investigations. In addition, she assists clients in the formulation of global strategies for product stewardship and pollution prevention.
Prior to joining Hunton Andrews Kurth, Lisa was Senior Environmental Counsel for a Fortune 100 company and handled environmental health- and safety-related compliance, risk and transactional issues worldwide.
- Counseled midstream oil and gas partnership involving a Gas Processing Contract requiring the construction of a 200 MMcf/day cryogenic natural gas processing plant, a fixed demand charge for 150 MMcf/d along with a throughput fee on all volumes processed for a term of 15 years commencing with commercial operations of the processing plant. This matter also involved a purchase and sale agreement to acquire certain tangible assets and real property for approximately $25 million.
- Represented energy client in the development of its methanol plant, which will yield more than 1.4 million metric tons of commercial grade methanol and will have the ability to install necessary facilities to convert methanol to automotive gasoline in the future.
- Represented a client in its approximately $23 million acquisition of Alaska-based companies that own and operate offshore supply vessels, as well as related warehouse, storage and staging facilities, and provide related marine services.
- Represented client in a private placement of $750 million 8.75% Class A Convertible Preferred Units in and energy company in connection with that company’s billion-dollar acquisition of significant trona and trona-based exploring, mining, processing, producing, marketing and selling assets.
- Represented foods product company in an equity recapitalization in which an investment firm became an equity holder in the company.
- Represented public company on environmental risks, liabilities and compliance issues associated with merger with independent refiner and marketer including issues associated with sites undergoing state and federal remediation actions
- Represented company with respect to environmental liabilities associated with legacy contamination sites under the Clean Water Act, Resource Conservation Act, Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act, Natural Resource Damages Act and Water Resource Development Act
- Represented Fortune 100 company with respect to environmental health and safety risks associated with purchase of former manufacturing site being remediated under the Voluntary Cleanup Program for development as a commercial property including negotiation of manuscripted insurance policy
- Represented biodiesel company with regard to environmental health and safety risks, liability and compliance associated with purchase of assets used for the manufacture of herbicides, including a Superfund site, for redevelopment as biodiesel plant
- Represented pipeline company with respect to railroad commission compliance and indemnity issues associated with litigation resolving liability for remediation of large pipeline leaks
- Represented international manufacturing company with respect to environmental, health and safety risks, liabilities and compliance issues associated with purchase of assets of company that manufactures machinery for the petrochemical and process industries
- Represented LNG company with respect to environmental health and safety disclosures associated with debt offering
- Represented issuer with respect to environmental risk, liability, compliance and disclosure issues associated with initial public offering of coal mining company
- Represented Fortune 100 company with respect to environmental, health and safety risks and liabilities associated with spin off of semiconductor business including securities disclosures
- Represented investor on assessment of environmental risks and liabilities associated with acquisition of tube manufacturing company whose properties had historic contamination issues
- Represented developer in enforcement action associated with development in wetlands resulting in After-the-Fact permit and no penalty
- Represented OEM with respect to take back issues associated with reseller agreement
Worked on many real estate transactions involving contaminated properties covered under Superfund, the Texas Voluntary Cleanup Program, Innocent Owner Operator Program and Municipal Settings Designation
- Worked on compliance issues associated with wind energy projects in support of environmental opinion letters
- Worked on real estate transactions requiring nationwide wetlands permits and mitigation actions
- JD, Texas Tech University School of Law, Phi Delta Phi, 1987
- BA, The University of Vermont, 1979
- American Bar Association
Rate : $$$