Lisa Scruggs provides litigation and counseling services for education and school reform organizations, including individual charter and private schools, charter school networks, charter and education management organizations, school districts and other education non-profit and for profit organizations and service providers.
She has handled a wide range of litigation, transactions and policy matters relating to new school development, teacher evaluation, credentialing and certification reforms, public/private education ventures, virtual education, school finance and parent and student civil rights.
Ms. Scruggs is nationally recognized in school reform law. She has worked with the Chicago Public Schools, the third-largest school district in the U.S., in a number of capacities. Most notably, she served as Senior Policy Advisor to the Chief Executive Officer (2004-2006) and as a member of the Blue Ribbon Commission to Evaluate Magnet and Selective Schools Admission Policy (2010-2011).
She has also served as an Expert Review Panelist for grant competitions sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Innovation and Improvement, including the Race to the Top – District competition. Ms. Scruggs has also been selected as a Pahara-Aspen Education Fellow, joining a cohort of leaders who are “reimagining America’s public schools.”
Ms. Scruggs is also an experienced litigator who has participated in a variety of cases involving a wide range of issues including complex commercial, real estate, business torts and unfair competition law, civil rights and constitutional law.
- Defended national education organization against improper third party subpoenas.
- Advised client and performed due diligence on charter law aspects of the client’s acquisition of multi-million charter school portfolio.
- Worked with charter school facing a non-renewal recommendation to help it obtain a full five-year renewal of its charter.
- Successfully defended local school council in arbitration of administrator’s challenge of local school council personnel decision.
- Counseled charter school on feasibility and legal implications of multi-state combination within charter network and advised local school board and negotiated revisions to comprehensive management services agreement.
- Prepared amicus briefs in federal court on behalf of national school reform organizations in cases involving constitutional law and federal statutes.
- Served as replication counsel and prepared analysis of laws and regulations in various states applicable to system of for-profit private schools for rapidly growing provider of individualized education programs.
- Successfully defended NYSE REIT in a lawsuit involving nuisance and unfair business practice claims brought by a subprime mobile home mortgage lending company.
- Secured dismissal of arbitration for Fortune 10 company in a license agreement contract dispute.
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1998 , – Articles Editor, University of Chicago Roundtable
- University of Chicago, M.A., Education Policy, 1994
- Georgetown University, B.A., cum laude, 1993
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Duane Morris LLP, – Partner, 2014-present
- Jenner & Block LLP, – Partner, 2006-2014
- Chicago Public Schools, – Senior Policy Advisor to the Chief Executive Officer, 2004-2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, – Law Clerk to the Hon. Ann C. Williams, 1999-2000
- Business and Professional People for the Public Interest, – Policy Analyst, 1996-1998
- Pahara-Aspen Education Fellowship Program, Fellow, Spring 2015 Cohort
- Alliance of Public Charter School Attorneys, Advisory Board Member, 2013-present
- National Alliance for Public Charter Schools Model Law Advisory Committee, 2014-2015
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Innovation and Improvement
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Black Women Lawyers Association of Greater Chicago
- Young Women’s Leadership Charter School Of Chicago
- Ancona School, Board of Trustees, 2012-2015
Rate : $$$$