Livia M. Kiser has a national practice defending some of the world’s largest multi-national corporations in bet-the-company cases where charges of deceptive consumer practices, unfair competition, false advertising, economic product defect, state and federal privacy violations and other torts are alleged. A seasoned and vigorous advocate, Liv’s innovative approaches to complex legal questions have resulted in the development of new law favorable to her clients and entire industries.
A recognized practitioner in class actions and consumer disputes, Liv regularly resolves cases at the earliest stages of litigation through creative strategies that operate to moot a class action or cause the class action device not to be a superior method for resolving the dispute.
Liv has persuaded opposing counsel to dismiss cases without compensation by persuasively explaining applicable law. Liv has successfully defeated class certification in cases that prior counsel believed to be unwinnable.
When inevitable problems with products or services arise, Liv proactively works hand-in-hand with clients across the healthcare, automotive, consumer goods, medical device, hardware, retailer, food, and agricultural industries help them develop customer-friendly, effective approaches to honor warranties, provide appropriate remedies, and facilitate compliance with state and federal laws, all while preemptively protecting against possible litigation down the road. Protecting brands and company reputations, and keeping remedies in the hands of consumers when appropriate is a central focus of Liv’s practice.
Liv has a very active pro bono practice, obtaining asylum for persecuted individuals and ensuring children with disabilities obtain necessary services in their public schools. She also represents defendants in wrongful conviction and death penalty cases.
- B.A., University of Illinois
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- Member, American Bar Association, Sections of Litigation, Class Actions and Derivative Suits, Antitrust (Consumer Protection and Information Privacy and Security), and Products Liability (Food and Supplements)
- Member, California Bar Association
- Member, Illinois Bar Association
- Member, Women’s Bar Association of Illinois (Co-Chair, Judicial Reception; Co-Chair, Top Women Lawyers in Leadership)
Rate : $$$