Lori Kalani is a pioneer at counseling clients through these complexities and has taken attorneys general representation from a distinctive area and turned it into a nationally recognized legal practice, while still treating each client like it is her only one.
Addressing issues with state attorneys general can be particularly challenging because it is where difficult issues intersect with state government, politics, public policy and the law. Lori Kalani is the co-chair of Cozen O’Connor’s State Attorneys General Practice, but her path to building a unique practice area focused on AGs and regulatory agencies was self-directed and varied.
It started when she managed DISH Network’s federal and state relationships as a top in-house counsel, one who took it upon herself to visit the AGs and their staff in all 50 states to understand how and why they worked the way they did. Strategic, direct interaction with AGs has proven highly successful for many of Lori’s clients.
It is this uncommon approach that truly sets her apart and has enabled her to successfully counsel clients through business transactions, investigations and disputes with government agencies. Her role with DISH Network evolved into the establishment of a State Attorneys General Practice with a global law firm that she later moved to Dickstein & Shapiro and finally to Cozen O’Connor.
Lori’s business-minded approach, and extensive legal, political and policy experience, makes her a highly regarded lawyer and advocate where it counts – in state capitols and in Washington, D.C.
Her knowledge, especially in the areas of finance, disruptive technology, gaming, social media, telecommunications, retail, transportation, and dietary supplements, allows her to serve as a trusted liaison between general counsels and state AGs, bridging the gap between the goals of the state and the business community.
Whether it is consumer protection, environmental and regulatory inquiries, investigations or litigation, Lori and her team have the skills to make a difference. Lori has been recognized for her pioneering role as one of America’s Leading Lawyers for Business by Chambers USA and a “Woman Worth Watching” by Profiles in Diversity Journal.
The 2016 edition of Chambers USA notes that Lori “possesses far-reaching experience of advocating for clients in sensitive investigations and disputes” and describes her as a “consummate professional who is laser-focused on the issues that are of interest to her clients. If you have a problem with an Attorney General or want to avoid one, she is a go-to hire.” Lori is the co-editor of Cozen O’Connor’s State AG Report blog, the go-to resource for issues relating to AGs.
She is actively involved in AG organizations and programs throughout the country, including serving as an advisory board member on the Conference of Western Attorneys General (CWAG) Alliance Partnership and the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia’s Law Firm Advisory Committee. Lori is a member of Cozen O’Connor’s board of directors and sits on the firm’s PAC Governance and Shareholder Compensation Committees.
- Represents a Fortune 200 satellite telecommunications company on proactive AG outreach, and counsels the company on regulatory and legal compliance strategies, as well as resolving State AG investigations and inquiries.
- Represents a global nutrition company in responding to inquiries by state and federal regulators into its marketing practices. Developed and implemented a strategy for responding to attacks by activist investors.
- Represents an innovative real estate company with respect to an investigation by the Illinois AG’s office and counsels the company regarding compliance and AG outreach.
- Represents one of the world’s largest social media companies with respect to developing and maintaining a 50-state plan to respond to specific AG inquiries, engaging in proactive AG outreach, and collaborating with AGs to provide education and outreach to students, parents, teachers and local law enforcement officials.
- Represented a professional association in outreach to states regarding the authority of AGs to pursue consumer protection investigations, resulting in the support of 44 AGs for an amicus curiae brief.
- Represented a professional association in outreach to AGs regarding a U.S. Department of Justice interpretation of the Wire Act related to online gambling, resulting in 15 states sending a letter to Congress on the issue.
- Represented a leading dietary supplement company in an investigation by 34 state AGs and federal regulators regarding the labeling and marketing of its leading products.
- Successfully represented a leading retailer of dietary supplements in resolving an investigation by the Oregon Department of Justice regarding its sales practices.
- Successfully represented the maker of organically flavored e-cigarette liquids in resolving an investigation into its product labeling by the Washington AG’s office.
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., 2003
- University of Nevada, M.B.A., 1994
- University of Nevada, B.S., 1990
BAR ADMISSIONS : District of Columbia; Virginia
- CWAG Alliance Partnership
- Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia’s Law Firm Advisory Committee
Rate : $$$$