Louis Schatz serves as Chair of Shipman & Goodwin’s Tax and Employee Benefits Practice Group. From 2007 to 2017, Lou served on the firm’s seven-person Management Committee. He is the past Chair of the Tax Section of the Connecticut Bar Association.
Lou practices in the areas of federal and State of Connecticut tax with attention to the representation of closely held businesses organized as limited liability companies, partnerships and S corporations; real estate joint ventures; and the representation of taxpayers involved in federal and Connecticut tax controversies.
He is a frequent lecturer on federal and State of Connecticut tax, partnership and limited liability company issues. For many years he has been providing annual updates on Connecticut tax developments to accountants practicing in New York and New Jersey.
His recent lectures include presentations to the Connecticut Bar Association, the Connecticut Society of CPA’s, the Connecticut Business and Industry Association, the National Conference of CPA Practitioners, the New York State Society of CPA’s, the Long Island Tax Practitioner Symposium, the National Business Institute, the University of Connecticut Income Tax School, the New England Tax Institute, and the Foundation for Accounting Education in New York City.
Louis is widely published, including his authorship of the latest edition of “Connecticut Limited Liability Act: Forms and Practice Manual,” the leading treatise in Connecticut on limited liability companies.
- American Bar Association: Taxation Section
- Connecticut Bar Association: Past Chair of Tax Section; Former Chair, Limited Liability Company Sub-committee; Former Chair, Property and Conveyance Tax Sub-Committee
- New York Bar Association
- ISA (Independent State and Local Tax Alliance): Member
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 1979
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. (in Taxation), 1980
- Cornell University, B.A., 1976
Rate : $$$