Louis Buatt is a shareholder in the firm’s New Orleans office. He is co-chair of the Environmental Regulatory Practice Group. His practice principally focuses on regulatory and transactional matters concerning environmental and energy law.
Mr. Buatt is a former Assistant Secretary and General Counsel of the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality, a former Assistant Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources, and a former Secretary of the State Mineral and Energy Board.
Mr. Buatt serves as counsel to refineries, energy, petrochemical, and other industrial clients. He provides environmental counsel and advice to refineries, energy, petrochemical, and industrial companies concerning complex permitting, enforcement, and other regulatory and transactional matters.
Other representative matters include representing a lender conducting a comprehensive environmental due diligence assessment and evaluation of an LNG project in Cameron Parish, involving financing of approximately $5 billion and the development of a methanol plant in South Louisiana.
Mr. Buatt devotes a part of his practice to representing energy companies in lawsuits for oilfield restoration (legacy lawsuits). In these oilfield restoration lawsuits, Mr. Buatt represents clients in administrative hearings (Limited Admission Hearings) before the Office of Conservation and assist the litigation teams with the technical and regulatory requirements related to oilfield site restoration and by coordinating and managing retained experts.
- University of Houston Law Center, LL.M. in Energy and Environmental Law, 1995
- Southern University Law Center, J.D., magna cum laude, 1989
- Louisiana State University, B.S. in Geology, 1986
Bar Admissions : Louisiana, 1989
- Louisiana Oil and Gas Association – Board of Directors, 2012–present
- Coastal Protection and Restoration Finance Corporation – Ex Officio Member, 2008–2011 Gulf of Mexico Alliance, 2008–2010
- Louisiana State Bar Association – Member, 1989–present
- Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority – Member, 2008–2011
Rate : $$$