Louis P. Eatman is a partner in the Real Estate Department. He has more than three decades of experience advising clients on a wide range of real estate matters, including financings, joint ventures, acquisitions and sales, foreclosure issues, and workouts and restructurings.
Lou focuses on the representation of banks, life insurance companies, pension funds and their advisors, private equity funds, REITs, portfolio asset managers, commercial property landlords and tenants, and other institutional mortgage lenders and investors. Examples include the representation of:
- A large pension fund with respect to the disposition of nine office building complexes located in five states and the District of Columbia that are owned by joint ventures between affiliates of the fund and affiliates of Equity Office Properties Trust (which is now owned by The Blackstone Group), each of which has been or will be sold to a different third-party purchaser
- CB Richard Ellis Strategic Partners U.S. IV, L.P. (a multibillion dollar private equity opportunity fund) in connection with a mixed-use retail, residential and hotel project in the Buckhead area of Atlanta, Georgia. The client is investing up to $169 million, first as a senior lender and then as a junior lender subordinate to senior construction financing aggregating approximately $400 million. The mandate involves complex land assemblage, land development, multitier intercreditor and vertical construction issues.
- Douglas P. Wilson in his capacity as court-appointed receiver for a large regional shopping center located in Northern California which is encumbered by a $120 million first mortgage loan that is currently in default. This representation has been complicated by the fact, among others, that the defaulting owner of the center has recently filed a Chapter 11 bankruptcy petition.
Prior to joining the firm, Lou served as the partner-in-charge of Mayer Brown LLP’s Los Angeles office for more than ten years and for several years as co-head of that firm’s national and global real estate practices.
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 1974
- Stanford Graduate School of Business, M.B.A., 1974
- Georgetown University, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, B.S.F.S., 1970
Admissions & Qualifications : California
Court Admissions : U.S. District Court, California, Central District
- State Bar of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- City of Hope Los Angeles Real Estate/Construction Council
Rate : $$$