Louis Chiappetta focuses his practice primarily on troubled company mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and financing transactions. These transactions particularly involve balance sheet, environmental, labor and litigation issues, including, but not limited to, the representation of creditors, debtors, bondholders and equity security holders in all transactional and litigation aspects of bankruptcy cases.
Mr. Chiappetta also represents lenders and borrowers in out-of-court operational and financial restructuring matters, and has represented various clients with respect to debtor-in-possession financing and cash collateral agreements, sales of assets in bankruptcy, reorganization plan structuring and confirmations, multinational insolvency proceedings, motions for relief from the automatic stay, dischargeability litigation, fraudulent conveyance and preference litigation, and other issues. Selected representations include:
- SunEdison, Inc. and certain of its domestic and international subsidiaries, which were the world’s largest renewables developers at the time of their filings, in all aspects of their Chapter 11 restructuring, including their successful emergence from Chapter 11 resolving more than $11.7 billion in reported debt;
- Exide Technologies, a global transportation and industrial battery manufacturer, in all aspects of its Chapter 11 reorganization, including the confirmation of its plan of reorganization resulting in a more than $600 million deleveraging;
- Delphi Corporation, one of the largest global suppliers of vehicle electronics, transportation components, integrated systems and modules, and other electronic technology, in its successful emergence from Chapter 11;
- C&S Wholesale Grocers, one of the nation’s leading supply chain companies in the food industry, in its position as co-chair of the official committee of unsecured creditors in the Chapter 11 case of the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company;
- LifeCare Holdings, Inc., an operator of long-term acute care hospitals, and its debtor affiliates in their Chapter 11 cases in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
Mr. Chiappetta is a member of the board of directors for the Golden Apple Foundation, a charitable organization focused on recognizing, recruiting and training teachers in schools of need in Illinois.
He is an active member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, Turnaround Management Association, International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation, American Bar Association, Illinois Bar Association and Chicago Bar Association.
Mr. Chiappetta also maintains an active pro bono practice, with a focus on veterans’ rights and education. He is a recipient of the 2014 Crystal Apple Award for Education, 2009 Veterans Pro Bono Service Award and William Hennessey Award Nominee (2001-08).
- J.D., Loyola University School of Law, Chicago, 2009 (magna cum laude)
- M.A., Saint Xavier University, 2004 (magna cum laude)
- B.S., Northwestern University, 1999
Admissions : Illinois
Rate : $$$$