Louise M. McCabe has extensive litigation experience at both the trial and appellate court levels in matters involving insurance coverage, accounting and legal malpractice, broker liability, directors’ and officers’ liability and commercial litigation.
She has served as regional and national coordinating counsel for clients with litigation pending in a number of jurisdictions and is experienced in all aspects of pretrial and trial preparation in complex matters.
Louise has also represented clients in international and domestic arbitrations. Louise’s clients have included banks, insurance companies, retailers, accounting firms, energy companies, manufacturers, foreign governments, oil companies, real estate brokers and developers.
Representative Matters :
- Successfully represented industry publication and its authors in a dispute over rights and royalties to publication.
- Representation involving breach of contract and fiduciary duty pertinent to Trustee sale of land and rights to large residential real estate development in Southern California.
- Successfully defended major oil company, defeating class action certification of plaintiffs claims emanating from plant upset and fire.
- Significant first party and third party, and extra contractual “bad faith” cases in personal and commercial lines of insurance.
- Defended a variety of third party subpoenas served on accounting firms by various governmental agencies and private parties.
- Defeated class certification and obtained summary judgment in favor of bank in dispute involving check cashing and fund transfer issues.
- Served as trial counsel for hospital in breach of contract action resulting in favorable verdict for client.
- Successfully defeated enforcement of a $25 million dollar international arbitration award in the United States on behalf of a foreign government entity.
- Successfully represented and defended offshore energy service company in dispute arising from foreign offshore construction project.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- American Bar Association Section on Taxation
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance – Member
- PLUS – Member
Professional Experience : Tax Manager, Touche Ross & Company
- Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D.
- Santa Clara University, M.B.A.
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A.
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Tax Court
- Supreme Court of the United States
BAR ADMISSIONS : California
Rate : $$$