Luke P. Cantrell is an associate in the Firm’s Memphis office and a member of the Construction Group. Mr. Cantrell represents owners, contractors, subcontractors and design professionals in all aspects of construction disputes, from construction contract drafting and negotiation to mechanics’ liens, contractor licensing issues, payment and performance bond claims, retainage issues, litigation and arbitration.
Providing additional perspective to his work with design professionals and contractors, his prior work experience includes working as an engineer in the oil and gas industry and in the development department of a local municipality, where he worked with many engineers, developers and contractors on both public and private construction projects.
In addition to his construction practice, Mr. Cantrell represents clients in general business litigation matters including cases involving non-compete agreements, employment discrimination claims, contract disputes, transportation and personal injury defense.
Mr. Cantrell also handles federal trademark applications, counsels clients on branding decisions, and has experience in protecting and enforcing clients’ intellectual property rights.
While in law school, Mr. Cantrell clerked at the Shelby County Public Defender’s Office and helped found the Memphis Chapter of the Homeless Experience Legal Protection (HELP) Clinic, a legal clinic servicing homeless individuals.
- The University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 2012, magna cum laude
- Mississippi State University James Worth Bagley College of Engineering, B.S. Mechanical Engineering, 2005
- Tennessee, 2012
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2015
- Part of litigation team that secured successful outcome for owner in connection with the design-build contract of a $300 million manufacturing facility in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Draft and negotiate construction and design contracts for owners, contractors, and design professionals.
- Key member of team representing owner of multi-family residential properties in complex arbitration involving installation, removal, and impact of flow control devices on municipal and multi-family residential water systems across the Southeastern United States.
- Advise and assist clients with wide-range of contractor licensing issues including quick turnaround and hardship license applications for out-of-state contractors in complex commercial projects.
- Labor & Employment
- Advise schools and employers on best practices and draft policies to address guns and other weapons in their facilities.
- Defended employers against employee claims brought through the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Successfully defended contractor in $1.5 million suit attempting to enforce non-compete.
- Obtained summary judgment on ERISA benefits claim for employer.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member − Memphis Bar Association
- Member − Tennessee Bar Association
Rate : $$$