Lydia Parnes is a partner in the Washington, D.C., office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, where she is co-chair of the firm’s privacy and cybersecurity practice. She regularly represents companies in complex regulatory investigations and provides advice on complying with federal, state, and global privacy and data protection laws.
The former director of the Bureau of Consumer Protection (BCP) at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Lydia is a highly regarded privacy expert. As director of the BCP, Lydia oversaw privacy and data security enforcement efforts and the development of the FTC’s approach to online advertising.
She testified on numerous occasions on the benefits of a uniform nationwide data breach law and the risks of legislating in the technology area. Lydia advises companies on how to navigate global privacy and data security requirements while pursuing their business goals.
She helps them develop and implement comprehensive privacy compliance programs and understand the nuances of regulation and self-regulation in the privacy arena. Lydia regularly represents clients before the FTC and other federal and state agencies.
Lydia was named a top lawyer in the cybersecurity category by Washingtonian Magazine in 2017 and 2015 and is regularly recognized in Chambers USA, Chambers Global, and The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers as among the country’s top privacy and data security attorneys.
In 2012, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati was recognized by Law360 as a “top privacy and consumer protection” law firm. Lydia speaks throughout the country on developments in data security and privacy.
- J.D., Washington College of Law at American University
- B.A., Political Science, American University
ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS:
- Advisory Board, Center for Democracy and Technology
- Editorial Board, The Antitrust Source, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Presidential Transition Task Force, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association (2017)
- Vice Chair, Privacy and Information Security Committee, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association (2013-2016)
- Co-chair, 2013 Consumer Protection Conference, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Consumer Protection Committee, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association (2009-2012)
- Member, International Task Force, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association (2010-2011)
- Member, Long Range Planning Committee, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association (2010-2011)
- Member, Department of Homeland Security Data Privacy and Integrity Advisory Committee (2011-2013)
- Board Member, Council of Better Business Bureaus (2010-2013)
- Board Member, Internet Keep Safe Coalition (iKeepSafe) (2009-2012)
- Deputy Executive Director, President’s Task Force on Identity Theft (2007)
- Bar of the District of Columbia
- State Bar of New York
Rate : $$$