M.J. Asensio is a management labor relations attorney with more than 30 years’ experience representing clients across the country in collective bargaining, representation cases, grievance arbitration and labor litigation matters.
Mike moves fluidly among the groups of people with whom he works. To develop strategic solutions to his clients’ concerns and facilitate collaborative resolutions, Mike communicates and forges relationships with all levels of individuals, from rank-and-file employees to high-profile public officials.
His understanding of his clients’ businesses and cultural values enables Mike to find solutions to workplace issues that support long-term client strategies.
- Provides ongoing labor relations counsel and serves as lead negotiator for successor collective bargaining agreements between a client, a Fortune 500 company, and the International Association of Machinists (IAM) at facilities in New York and Texas. Developed pre-negotiation strategies that paved the way for negotiation of an agreement at one of the company’s Texas facilities, resulting in greater flexibility in scheduling and overtime, along with increased employee participation in the cost of healthcare benefits.
- Represents a large healthcare system that manages 14 member hospitals in central Ohio. Recently negotiated successor collective bargaining agreement with the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) providing greater flexibility in scheduling and movement of nursing staff. With deep understanding of client’s people strategies and culture – having represented the hospital system since 1986 – developed work teams between management and labor to address a variety of issues away from the bargaining table.
- Has represented a Fortune 500 company since 2008 in labor relations matters involving the Teamsters and IAM at the company’s central Ohio warehouse and distribution facility. Provided strategic counsel, advice and management training, which allowed the company to successfully defend a variety of labor relations issues.
- Provides counsel and represents a large central Ohio healthcare system in employment litigation matters, including a recent case involving a former resident who claimed he was terminated in retaliation for whistleblowing activities.
- American Bar Association: Labor and Employment Law Section
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law: Adjunct Professor
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law: Adjunct Professor
- J.D., Indiana University School of Law, 1985, cum laude
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1986
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1986
Rate : $$$