Kim Vance has more than 25 years of experience representing management in every aspect of labor and employment law. Ms. Vance is a shareholder in the Labor & Employment Group at Baker Donelson’s Nashville office.
“Kim Vance is described by sources as ‘a terrific problem solver.’ She is noted for her impressive counseling and defense of management teams before the EEOC and the Tennessee Human Rights Commission.” Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers 2013
“Kim is unique. She has the mind of a business owner and the intellect of a great lawyer. This combination has benefited our company in very meaningful ways,” said Joe Scarlett, Chairman and former CEO at Tractor Supply Company, where Ms. Vance formerly served as General Counsel. In addition to defending companies in employment litigation, Ms. Vance’s practice focuses upon:
- presenting in-house management training programs to reduce employment related legal risks for companies across the nation;
- counseling management clients through auditing human resources policies and practices to reduce legal risks; and
- developing pre-litigation strategies to improve available defenses in preparation for litigation.
She has represented management clients in State and Federal Courts and in defense of administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, State Human Rights Commissions, State Unemployment Commissions, Arbitrators, the National Labor Relations Board and the Department of Labor.
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock Law School, J.D., 1986, with high honors
- University of Central Arkansas, B.A., 1983, with highest honors
- Tennessee, 1986
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 1988
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee, 1988
- United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee, 1990
- United States Supreme Court, 1995
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce HR Excellence Awards Chairperson (2005 – 2006); Examiner (2002 – 2003, 2007 – 2013)
- Adjunct Professor – Lipscomb University (2012 – present)
- Scarlett Leadership Institute Instructor (2006 – present)
- Law Clerk – United States District Court Judge H. Franklin Waters, Fayetteville, Arkansas
- Member – Tennessee Bar Association (Chair of Labor and Employment Section 2005 – 2006 and Vice Chair 2004 – 2005)
- Member – American, Tennessee and Nashville Bar Associations
Rate : $$$