Marc H. Axelbaum, a Pillsbury Litigation partner, leads the firm’s Northern California Corporate Investigations & White Collar Defense practice. Marc represents U.S. and international clients in criminal and civil cases and in corporate, SEC and regulatory investigations.
He has represented clients from numerous industries, including energy (traditional and renewable), life sciences and health care, technology, banking, investment funds, real estate and construction. Marc also represents public officials.
He is skilled at helping clients avoid charges and litigation in the first place, but also adept at defeating and resolving cases once brought.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Served as lead counsel for a former senior executive at a renewable energy company in high-profile fraud investigations by the Justice Department and federal regulators. No charges were ever brought.
- Conducted an internal investigation into the valuation/risk ratings of a regional bank’s loan and real estate owned portfolios, and alleged misstatements by officers to the bank’s finance department and outside auditors.
- Defended a real estate investment fund in three-judge arbitration arising from the client’s foreclosure on a substantial mezzanine loan. Defeated all claims and recovered attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Lead counsel for a former senior executive at a renewable energy company in high-profile fraud investigations by the Justice Department and federal regulators. No charges were ever brought.
- Represented leading energy company in criminal and SEC investigations of certain allegedly fraudulent accounting practices. No charges or complaint were ever filed against our client.
- Represent a renewable energy company in referral of fraud and embezzlement scheme to federal prosecutors.
- Lead counsel for global manufacturer of durable medical equipment in criminal and civil False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute investigations.
- Represented life sciences company and its founder/CEO in federal and state criminal and civil investigations into allegations of fraudulent lab testing results, and environmental and workplace safety issues.
- Led internal investigation of leading construction company into kickback allegations. Represented client in related civil litigation.
- Lead counsel for a computer networking company in internal investigation of theft of trade secrets and subsequent referral of matter to federal prosecutors.
- J.D., Columbia University School of Law, 1998
- A.B., Cornell University, 1993
ADMISSIONS : California, New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Honorable Marsha S. Berzon, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Honorable Peter K. Leisure, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Rate : $$$$