Marc J. Bloostein has been practicing in the private client group since 1989, and has been a partner of the firm since 1997. He focuses on sophisticated estate planning, and his practice includes all aspects of trust and estate administration, advising fiduciaries and beneficiaries and serving as trustee for numerous family trusts.
In addition to working closely with high net worth individuals, families, entrepreneurs and executives of private and public companies, Marc is a trusted advisor to private equity and hedge fund principals and to their firms. He works with these clients to structure funds to create estate planning opportunities and provides them with strategic advice to address effective wealth transfer, investment and tax alternatives.
Marc is recognized for his breadth of experience as an estate planner, as well as for his strong background in estate and gift taxation, charitable trust law and fiduciary law. He regularly provides advice on complicated trust matters, some of which involve high-stakes litigation. Marc shares his legal knowledge in a number of ways :
- He is co-author of the annual supplements to Newhall’s Settlement of Estates and Fiduciary Law in Massachusetts, published by Thompson Reuters and considered the premier work on estate settlement and fiduciary law in Massachusetts.
- He played a key role in the 2012 enactment of the Massachusetts Uniform Trust Code, having served on the ad hoc committee that reviewed and revised it and having co-authored the committee’s report.
- He has served on the Probate Court’s Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code implementation committee as well as the Supreme Judicial Court’s ad hoc committee on Bosch reformation cases.
- He served as co-chair of the Boston Bar Association’s Trusts and Estates Section from 2011-2013.
- JD, cum laude , Cornell Law School, 1988; Managing Editor, Cornell Law Review
- BA, magna cum laude , Brandeis University, 1985
- New York, 2004
- Massachusetts, 1988
CLERKSHIPS : Honorable Stanley Brotman, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey (1988 – 1989)
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS :
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
Rate : $$$