Marc P. Miles’s practice focuses on complex business litigation, including intellectual property, product liability and employment cases. His work has included successfully trying high-profile and high-stakes cases, including multimillion-dollar disputes, as well as arguing appeals before state and federal courts.
A Super Lawyers profile praised Marc’s ability to break down complex concepts and explain them simply to juries, noting that he is “plain-spoken without being folksy; clear without sounding overly polished.”
Marc has obtained positive results for his clients at every stage of the litigation process, including:
- defending one of the nation’s largest beverage companies in product liability lawsuits;
- defending a technology company against a venture-capitalist firm’s allegations, which concluded with a defense verdict and a favorable monetary settlement on a cross-claim;
- representing real-estate investors against a company with a portfolio of commercial real estate, concluding with the court finding the company had mismanaged the operating accounts;
- defending the widow of a man accused of running a $134-million Ponzi scheme in a four-week class action trial and winning a complete jury defense verdict for his client; and
- being part of the trial team that obtained the largest verdict in California in 2003—and second-largest in the United States that year—after a jury award of $934 million in a breach of contract and fraud case for a corporate client.
Arbitration. Marc has also represented his clients in the arbitration process. In one case, he represented a global beverage company in claims against a Las Vegas hotel and casino involving trademark infringement and breach of contract.
After a two-week arbitration before a retired California Supreme Court justice, Marc prevailed on all of his client’s claims, defeated all counterclaims and won an award of attorney’s fees and costs.
In another arbitration, Marc represented an investment firm against a marketing company’s million-dollar claims. The case concluded with a complete defense award, including attorney’s fees and costs.
- J.D., Southwestern University School of Law
- Interscholastic Trial Advocacy Program, Board of Governors
- B.A., University of California, Irvine (Criminology, Law & Society)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Orange County Bar Association, Business Litigation Section, Former Chair
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers (Orange County)
Rate : $$$$