Marc Roth works with clients to comply with state and federal laws and rules governing privacy, social media, sweepstakes, telemarketing, and advertising. He also counsels clients on transactional matters, and guides them through federal and state government investigations.
Previously chief compliance counsel for a Time Warner company and an FTC staff attorney, Marc draws upon decades of consumer advertising and marketing law experience when counseling clients. He frequently speaks and writes about privacy and telemarketing issues.
Marc drafts and amends online and offline privacy policies, and advises companies on how data may be collected, shared, and used in partner marketing arrangements. He also advises clients on laws governing data use and security. These include the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, the Video Privacy Protection Act, HIPAA, the CAN-SPAM Act, and the E.U. Data Protection Directive.
In the marketing arena, Marc counsels clients on how to develop and manage telemarketing programs that comply with the Telemarketing Sales Rule, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and applicable state laws. He also advises companies on how to develop and manage free trial, negative option, and continuity marketing programs in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and credit card processing rules.
Additionally, Marc counsels clients preparing to conduct marketing campaigns through online social networks. He also advises companies on the rules for social network platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, and on applicable industry-governing guidelines.
Professional & Community Activities:
- Brand Activation Association (fka Promotional Marketing Association), 1996-2017
- Electronic Retailing Association, 2010-2017
- Magazine Publishers Association, 2003-2017
- Professional Association for Customer Engagement, 2014-2017
- Antitrust Section, Consumer Protection, American Bar Association, 1999-2017
- Editorial Advisory Board, Social Media Law & Policy Report, Bloomberg BNA, 2014-2016
- J.D., Syracuse University College of Law, 1991
- M.A., Public Administration, Syracuse University, 1991
- B.A., European History, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, 1986
Rate : $$$