Marc Gerber concentrates his practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and general corporate and securities matters. He has represented purchasers and sellers in a wide variety of transactions, including private acquisitions and divestitures, negotiated and contested public acquisitions, and proxy fights.
Mr. Gerber also advises numerous clients on a full range of corporate governance and related matters, including advising clients on compliance with the corporate governance provisions of the Dodd-Frank Act and the provisions of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, the rules and regulations of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the listing requirements of the New York Stock Exchange and NASDAQ Stock Market.
In addition, he counsels clients on matters concerning their annual meetings and proxy statements, including responding to shareholder proposals and interacting with shareholders and proxy advisory firms.
Mr. Gerber also advises companies, boards of directors and board committees on corporate governance topics such as shareholder rights plans, advance notice bylaws, proxy access, board independence and board self-evaluation.
Some of Mr. Gerber’s significant transactions include the representation of:
- Alexander & Baldwin, Inc., a real estate and agribusiness company, in its acquisition of Grace Pacific Corporation;
- Spectra Energy Corp in its acquisition of the Express-Platte pipeline system from Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, LP, the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and Borealis Infrastructure;
- Human Genome Sciences, Inc. in its initially unsolicited, but subsequently agreed upon acquisition by GlaxoSmithKline plc;
- Serco Group plc, an international service company, in its acquisition of SI International, Inc.;
- Global Insight, Inc., a provider of economic and financial information, in its acquisition by IHS Inc.;
- the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Total System Services, Inc., a provider of outsourced payment services, in the spin-off of Total System Services from Synovus Financial Corp.;
- Rite Aid Corporation in its acquisition of the Brooks and Eckerd drugstore chains from The Jean Coutu Group (PJC) Inc.;
- Great Western Financial Corporation in its proxy contest with H.F. Ahmanson & Co.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1993 (magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, articles editor, Georgetown Law Journal)
- B.S.E., University of Pennsylvania, 1989
- New York
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$