From controversy to consulting, Marc A. Simonetti advises clients on matters across the United States in all areas of state and local taxation, including income, franchise, excise, sales and use tax. Marc zealously represents clients in controversy matters from audit through litigation—defending clients’ positions and working to achieve practical solutions to controversy matters.
He represents clients in matters ranging from administrative appeal to appellate litigation and advises clients on audit matters before state tax authorities, including administrative appeals.
Further, Marc represents clients in all aspects of litigation—from discovery, depositions, motion practice, trial and appeal. Recognizing the inherent risks in litigation, Marc is skilled in attaining the best resolution for the client.
Understanding that state and local tax issues affect long-term business decisions and day-to-day operations, Marc advises Fortune 100 clients to maximize opportunities and minimize tax liabilities. Marc understands the national state tax landscape and advises his clients on the most tax efficient way to conduct business operations and avoid costly missteps.
In the changing business environment where many clients face new and difficult tax issues regarding the application of old tax laws to new technology, Marc advises clients on the tax consequences of participating in the digital economy. In addition, he counsels clients on transactional matters, including mergers, acquisitions, dispositions and restructuring—for maximum tax efficiency.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Successfully litigated a precedent-setting New York State tax apportionment sourcing case for an online travel company.
- Successfully litigated an Illinois Tax False Claims Act case regarding attributional nexus for a cosmetic retail company.
- Advises technology firm on state tax planning and restructuring.
- Advisory Board Member, The National Multistate Tax Symposium
- Member, Editorial Board, The Tax Lawyer State and Local Tax Edition, American Bar Association
- Member, State and Local Tax Committee, Tax Section, American Bar Association
- Former Member, Tax Section, New York State Bar Association (2006)
- J.D., St. John’s University School of Law
- B.A., Ithaca College
ADMISSIONS : New York, New Jersey, Illinois
COURTS : U.S. Supreme Court
Rate : $$$