With experience defending over 250 class action cases in state and federal courts throughout the United States, Marcy Levine Aldrich is chair of Akerman’s Class Action Defense Litigation Practice. Noted by Chambers USA for her “strong reputation,” Marcy litigates complex disputes, including class action litigation and complex insurance litigation with a focus on serving national and regional insurers in connection with auto insurance, property casualty and other insurance issues.
Marcy’s class action defense of property and casualty insurers covers a range of issues such as compliance with statutory notice requirements, insurers’ specification of non-original equipment manufacturer parts for insured vehicles; whether automobile insurers are required to pay for “diminished value” losses in the first-party context; the use of “betterment” deductions in adjusting insured losses; compliance with Florida “three-option letter” statute in connection with insurance premium quotes; deductible refund practices in connection with subrogation claims; handling of uninsured motorist claims; adjustment for overhead and profit in connection with homeowners’ insurance claims; adjustment of hurricane claims under homeowners’ policies; and a wide variety of issues arising under the Florida No-Fault (“PIP”) Statute.
Marcy also defends insurers in class actions involving underwriting issues, coverage issues, insurance agency issues, disability insurance issues, and claims handling issues.
Beyond insurance class action litigation, Marcy prosecutes and defends appeals on behalf of insurers in both state and federal appellate courts, and the defense of extracontractual and bad faith claims against insurers in state and federal courts.
She also has experience in handling other complex commercial disputes, including class action disputes involving securities, warranty issues, products liability, RICO, and contract matters. Since 2001, Marcy has served as a Regional Coordinating Editor of the annual ABA Survey of State Class Action Laws.
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, 1988, Order of the Coif; Emory Law Journal, Member of the Board
- B.S., Cornell University, 1985
Bar Admissions : Florida; Massachusetts
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Dade County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Member
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- The Florida Insurance Council, Firm Member
Rate : $$$$