Margaret (Mig) Schaaf focuses her practice on leases of retail, restaurant, health care, office, and industrial properties, representing tenants and landlords in dozens of transactions each year. She also handles a variety of other real estate matters, drawing on over 30 years of experience with real estate transactions of all kinds.
Mig’s clients have included: Bank of America, Charlie’s Produce, Digipen, Eastern Mountain Sports, Hot Topic, J. Crew, PATH, Qualcomm, The Pokémon Company, Rodda Paint Co., The Seattle Times, Seattle Art Museum, Providence Health System, Sightlife, Starbucks Coffee Company, Thirsty Lion, Tom Douglas Restaurants, T-Mobile, and Western Peterbilt.
- Represents Tom Douglas Restaurants in lease negotiations for Seattle area restaurants, including multi-purpose locations containing separate restaurant, café, market, media room, catering and outdoor seating spaces.
- Served as exclusive outside leasing counsel for clothing and accessories retailer J. Crew from 2005-2015, assisting the company in securing hundreds of new store leases for J. Crew, Madewell, and J. Crew Factory, totaling hundreds of thousands of square feet.
- Served on a fast-paced team of outside and inhouse counsel negotiating leases for Starbucks Coffee Company in locations throughout the U.S. and Canada between 1995-2000, when the retailer grew by more than 800 stores internationally.
- Represented juniors retailer Hot Topic as its sole leasing counsel for over a decade, from its first store leases to a publicly traded chain of over 500 units.
- Worked with clients such as Bank of America, Seattle Art Museum, and The Seattle Times to develop and negotiate lease forms with retail, office, and industrial tenants.
Professional & Community Activities:
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- American Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Session Member, Elder for Personnel, 2012-present – Bethany Presbyterian Church
- Board Operations Committee, 2007-2008; Board Member, 2001-2008; Chair, Education Committee, 2004-2007; Executive Committee, 2004-2007 – Seattle Children’s Theatre
- Board Member, 1985-1992; Vice President, Finance, 1989-1991 – YWCA of Seattle-King County
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, with highest honors
Rate : $$$