Marguerita Sims represents health care industry clients, drawing on more than 20 years of in-house, government, and private practice experience. In addition, she has handled a range of compliance and fraud and abuse issues. Her practice is informed by her firsthand knowledge of the way leading companies operate and set business priorities.
Prior to joining Carlton Fields, Marguerita was senior corporate counsel for WellCare Health Plans, Inc. In that role, she provided legal advice regarding complex health care arrangements between the managed care health plan and various providers and other organizations, and helped the company navigate the national legal and regulatory landscape.
Previously, Marguerita was general counsel, corporate secretary, and chief compliance officer for FirstCare Health Plans, a Texas-based health insurance (managed care) company. She also worked for international law firms in Washington, D.C., North Carolina and Texas, where she represented pharmaceutical companies, hospital systems, medical device manufacturers, and various other health care entities.
After graduating from law school, Marguerita worked in Washington, D.C., with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) as a fraud and abuse attorney, and returned to the Washington, D.C., area to work at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a regulatory counsel within the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER). Admitted in Connecticut and District of Columbia. (Until admission in Florida, any work on Florida matters supervised in accord with Rule 4-5.3)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., 1994)
- Georgetown University (A.B., 1990)
- University of Texas School of Law (Certified Mediator, 2010)
- FL Senior Corporate Counsel , WellCare Health Plans, Tampa (2013-2018)
- Of Counsel, K&L Gates, Austin, TX (2004-2005)
- Vice President – General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer & Corp. Secretary, FirstCare Health Plans, Austin, TX (2007-2010)
- Regulatory Counsel, Center for Drug Evaluation & Research (CDER), U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), Rockville, MD (2005-2007)
- Corporate Compliance Counsel , Laboratory Corporation of America, Burlington, NC (2001-2004)
- Associate, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, Washington (1998-2000)
- Staff Attorney, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the General Counsel (OGC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Baltimore (1997–1998)
Rate : $$$$