María R. Coor’s practice encompasses both environmental and international work. As a member of BakerHostetler’s environmental team, María advises clients on compliance and liability associated with various federal environmental statutes in both civil and criminal contexts.
She represents clients in litigation and in federal and state administrative environmental law matters, and conducts environmental due diligence for both domestic and international corporate transactions.
In addition to her environmental work, María represents clients in investigations involving Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) compliance, with a focus on Latin America and Brazil in particular.
She has represented corporations making voluntary disclosures to the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and she advises corporations and individuals on FCPA compliance, risk exposure and remedial measures.
María’s academic background in environmental science and international environmental and resource policy allows her to understand and analyze legal and environmental issues from a multidisciplinary standpoint. She is also a native Spanish speaker and is fluent in Portuguese, enabling her to work effectively on a range of international matters.
- Represents a Fortune 100 company in connection with a criminal investigation of alleged environmental violations, among others. Is a core member of the strategy team supervising and conducting a multistate internal investigation.
- Performed environmental due diligence for a Fortune 500 company in connection with the acquisition of a major division of a Fortune 50 chemical corporation. Drafted and revised the environmental provisions of the purchase and sale agreement, worked with local counsel in Brazil and managed the environmental consultants conducting due diligence on four continents.
- Conducted an internal audit of a company’s environmental records following EPA issuance of SSO for several products in connection to alleged Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act violations. Negotiated with the EPA regarding terms of product return, advised the company on compliance issues, and drafted and revised company press releases.
- Drafted a health and safety policy addressing Occupational Safety and Health Act lead exposure limitations and requirements for contractors and subcontractors involved in a construction project at a lead oxide manufacturing facility.
- Conducted an internal investigation regarding Federal Acquisition Regulation compliance.
- Advising a Brazilian company regarding FCPA compliance and corporate and individual liability risk exposure.
- Federal Bar Association, International Resources and Environmental Law Committee (2015 to 2016)
- Washington Lawyers’ Committee: Associate Trustee (2013 to 2015)
- Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Law360 Environmental Advisory Board
- Oyster Adams Community Council: Board Member, Community Liaison
- CapoeiraDC: Board Member
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 2007
- M.A., Law & Diplomacy, Tufts University Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, 2004
- B.S., Environmental Science, Brown University, 2000
Admissions : District of Columbia
Rate : $$$