Maria Colsey Heard is a Washington, D.C.-based member of Cozen O’Connor’s State Attorneys General Practice. For 25 years she has represented clients being sued or investigated by the FTC, State AGs and other state government entities. Maria guides her clients through the unique pre-litigation investigations that the AGs can conduct.
The subject matter can range from antitrust to consumer protection to data breaches to licensing to unclaimed property. Maria works with her clients to resolve government inquiries in a way that serves the business function. She also crafts legislative and other public policy solutions to legal challenges.
Maria’s other focus is on class action settlements. She has negotiated settlements of product liability claims. She developed the administrative framework for national settlement programs. Maria also has defended settlements from attacks on appeal and collaterally.
- Counsels and provides State AG consumer protection representation to companies in the dietary supplement, data analytics and pharmaceutical fields.
- Represents a Fortune 500 telecommunications company in connection with multiple State AG civil investigations.
- Represents a Fortune 500 company in connection with State AG unclaimed property demands.
- Successfully represented a leading data services provider in connection with resolving a data privacy investigation.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in antitrust litigation regarding the sale and marketing of printing systems. She also represented the company in connection with developing a global strategy to address claims related to lead-based paint, including State AG litigation, and to implement proactive solutions to childhood lead poisoning.
- Represented the State of North Carolina in federal litigation with respect to Section 401 of the Clean Water Act, and the State of Kansas in federal litigation to defend its violent sexual predator statute.
- Represented Baxter International Inc. and Baxter Healthcare Corporation in the historic silicone gel breast implant settlement in the United States, and in similar settlements in Canadian provinces. She also represented Baxter in structuring and implementing a nationwide Hepatitis C class action settlement.
- Successfully represented major cable networks in First Amendment litigation against multiple states to strike down state taxes on pay-per-view boxing programs.
- The George Washington University, J.D., with honors, 1993
- La Salle University, B.A., maxima cum laude, 1990
BAR ADMISSIONS :
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
Rate : $$$$