Maria E. Rodriguez focuses on complex commercial and business litigation, and appeals. Maria has wide-ranging experience representing corporate, nonprofit, and government clients in employment, trade secret, pharmaceutical, business tort, and libel litigation.
She has appeared before the Maryland Court of Special Appeals; the Maryland Court of Appeals; the Third, Fourth, Ninth, and Eleventh U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals; and the United States Supreme Court.
Fluent in Spanish and educated in American literature, history, psychology, and law, Maria brings a wide frame of reference to her work with clients. Beyond her client work, Maria is active in the Venable Foundation and serves on the Venable Associate Evaluation Committee.
- Representing various entities, including an institution of higher education, in employment-related matters
- Representing a chemical manufacturer in a trade secret dispute
- Conducted an internal investigation and authored a report on behalf of a large institution with regard to alleged discrimination among its employees
- Representing immigrants challenging national immigration policy in a potential class action
- Handled evidentiary and potential appellate issues in a case before the Maryland Public Service Commission
- Obtained dismissal of a whistleblower employment action for an educational institution and defended that result before the Maryland Court of Special Appeals
- Authored an amicus brief on behalf of United States senators for a case before the United States Supreme Court
- Handled the legal issues in a case involving complex federal constitutional questions on behalf of a state commission on higher education
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a national retailer in a case involving complicated local sovereignty issues and defended the favorable result before the Maryland Court of Appeals
- Litigated a libel case on behalf of a national magazine, obtained summary judgment, and defended the favorable result before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- J.D. Stanford Law School 1989
- M.A. University of Oregon 1984
- B.A. Wesleyan University 1981
Bar Admissions : California, Maryland
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Clerk Experience : Honorable Fern M. Smith U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California 1989-1990
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Editor-in-chief, Litigation, 2010 – 2012
- Member, Wesleyan Lawyers Association
- Former member, Maryland State Bar Association Character Committee
Rate : $$$