Marilyn “Mel” R. Moriarty is a partner in the San Diego office of Lewis Brisbois and vice-chair of the Medical Malpractice Department. She is a trial attorney specializing in the defense of public entities and private employers in federal and state courts, as well as in administrative proceedings, in matters concerning medical malpractice and employment.
Ms. Moriarty has practiced as a trial lawyer for more than 35 years and has tried more than 75 jury trials in a variety of areas. Her success in the courtroom led to her selection to join the prestigious American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA).
Though her track record includes representation of a variety of clients, her focus of late has been the defense of healthcare and public entity clients against claims of medical malpractice, discrimination, wrongful termination, and civil rights violations. Recent representative matters include :
- Defending a public hospital against claims of discrimination brought by a transgender employee
- Representing a private hospital in a wage and hour case with a putative class of more than 4,000 members
- Preparing responses to EEOC and California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) proceedings
Ms. Moriarty frequently lectures in the areas of healthcare law and employment law, and is regularly listed among the top lawyers in San Diego.
- University of California, Los Angeles, Juris Doctor, 1979
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude, 1975
Admissions : State Bar Admissions, California
- Master, American Inns of Court
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- San Diego County Bar Association, Employment Law Section
- Member, DRI: Voice of the Defense Bar
Rate : $$$$