Marion V. Cruz represents financial services and corporate clients in class action and individual matters. She has significant trial experience in state and federal courts. Marion represents companies in cases involving federal and state statutes that regulate the use or security of data.
She handles litigation arising under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), including for companies not traditionally viewed as subject to the FCRA.
Marion has handled a broad range of civil and commercial disputes including labor and employment, professional liability, product liability, and torts matters in every stage of litigation.
Her familiarity with state and federal courts at the trial and appellate levels uniquely positions her both to assist companies with the prevention and early resolution of claims and to be prepared to defend her clients at trial.
Representative Matters :
- Won an anti-SLAPP motion to strike, resulting in the full dismissal of a professional liability matter.
- Won summary judgment in favor of a national healthcare provider in an employment discrimination case.
- Won a bench trial and obtained a permanent injunction against an attorney general seeking the confidential donor lists of a nonprofit legal organization.
- Won a motion to dismiss on behalf of a printing company sued under the Illinois Personal Information Protection Act and Consumer Fraud Act.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- President, Asian American Bar Association of Greater Chicago, 2012-2013
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D.
- University of California, Berkeley, B.S.
BAR ADMISSIONS : California, Illinois
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Rate : $$$