Marisa D. Stavenas is a Partner in the Firm’s Corporate Department. She represents both corporate and investment banking clients in a wide variety of complex domestic and international capital raising and restructuring transactions, including public and private sales of secured and unsecured debt securities, tender offer and exchange offer transactions, reorganizations and offerings of common, convertible and preferred securities.
Her transactions frequently include high yield and secured financings as well as acquisition finance, including advising the underwriters or private equity sponsors in bridge financing. Marisa also works with corporate issuers on an ongoing basis as designated underwriters’ counsel in connection with offerings by such issuers. In addition, Marisa regularly advises corporate clients on securities laws, corporate governance and other general matters.
Representative transactions include:
- Underwriters in Realogy’s $1.2 billion IPO and related $2.7 billion of secondary offerings by Apollo Group, and underwriters in several debt issuances, including creative secured debt structures and a bond-for-bank loan exchange
- Hovnanian Enterprises, a leading national homebuilder, in several financing transactions, including a series of secured debt restructuring transactions and exchange and tender offers
- Underwriters in connection with a CAD$250 million three-tier crossing lien secured notes offering by Postmedia Network, the largest publisher by circulation of paid English-language daily newspapers in Canada
- Genesee & Wyoming, the largest short line rail operator in North America, in acquisition financing offerings of common stock and tangible equity units
- Underwriters in several secured and unsecured Euro and U.S. dollar debt offerings and tender offers for Owens-Illinois, the largest manufacturer of glass containers in the world
- Initial purchasers in a first-lien, second-out secured debt offering to finance The Reader’s Digest Association’s emergence from Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Dealer managers in exchange offers by Domtar Corporation (cross-border), which designs, manufactures, markets and distributes a wide variety of fiber-based products, and WESCO International, a leading industrial supply company
She is a contributing editor of Getting the Deal Through and co-authored the United States chapter in Getting the Deal Through: Acquisition Finance 2014, published by Law Business Research. The chapter provides an analysis with respect to common questions encountered in acquisition finance transactions.
Marisa serves on the Steering Committee of the Kate Stoneman Project, a leadership organization comprising women partners at leading New York-based law firms. She is the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of All Souls School, an early childhood day school.
Marisa was recently named a Law360 2018 Capital Markets MVP for steering several complex financing transactions on behalf of Hovnanian Enterprises. She has also been repeatedly recognized by The Legal 500 United States.
Marisa received her J.D., cum laude, from Georgetown University School of Law in 1999, and was a member of the Georgetown University Law Journal. She received a B.S., magna cum laude, from Washington University in 1996.
- Georgetown University Law Center, 1999 J.D.
- cum laude; Georgetown University Law Journal, 1997–1999
- Washington University, 1996 B.A.
- magna cum laude
Admissions : New York 2000
Rate : $$$$