Mark McDermott represents public and private businesses and their principal stakeholders in troubled company M&A, restructuring and financing transactions. Mr. McDermott counsels clients on the bankruptcy aspects of derivatives and similar products; advises global financial institutions on Dodd-Frank and related matters; and advises officers and directors on corporate governance and fiduciary duties.
- Blue Bird Bus Company, in the fastest Chapter 11 reorganization case in U.S. history, with the company’s stay in bankruptcy lasting only 32 hours.
- Excel Maritime Carriers, Ltd., a Greek shipping business, in the Chapter 11 restructuring of its bank and bond debt.
- Centro Properties, a REIT that owns and operates strip malls, in the first-ever, out-of-court, cross-border restructuring involving U.S. and Australian entities.
- Kmart Corporation in the largest retail Chapter 11 restructuring in U.S. history (other retail representations include Friedman’s Jeweler’s, Syms’/Filene’s Basement and Retail Ventures, Inc.).
- Refco, Inc., in one of the largest securities and commodities broker liquidations and related litigations in U.S. history.
- RCN Communications, in its prenegotiated Chapter 11 reorganization case that allowed its operating subsidiaries to restructure out of court.
Mr. McDermott’s experience spans several industries, including energy, entertainment, financial institutions, health care, home building, manufacturing, printing, real estate, technology and transportation.
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, 1991 (cum laude)
- B.S., Iowa State University, 1988 (Phi Beta Kappa)
- New York
- Turnaround Management Association
- New York City Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
Rate : $$$$