Mark A. Short is recognized as one of the leading eminent domain attorneys in Virginia. As a seasoned litigator in all aspects of eminent domain and condemnation law, he has represented a variety of businesses and property owners against federal, state and local authorities.
Mark represents owners and tenants of commercial and residential properties. Cases have included small to large tracts of vacant land, primary, secondary and rental homes, commercial office buildings, big box retailers, shopping centers, hotels, farms, mining lands, banks, restaurants, gas stations, convenience stores, churches, funeral homes, and community association properties.
He also has substantial experience representing clients on relocation issues that arise from these proceedings. Mark’s active property rights practice complements his eminent domain practice.
He represents property owners in property disputes, title claims, and land-use matters, including adverse possession, easement disputes, riparian rights, partition actions, receiverships, foreclosures, title reformation claims, re-zonings, and land-use permits.
Mark’s practice also includes real estate transactions and finance. Mark is a frequent speaker on real property matters throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia and for national trade and legal associations. Mark has served as the president of the Newport News Bar Association and is highly regarded among his peers.
- College of William & Mary; B.A., 1987
- College of William & Mary School of Law; J.D., 1994
- Boys & Girls Club of the Virginia Peninsula; Board of Directors
- Peninsula German Club; Board of Directors
- Virginia Peninsula Chamber of Commerce; Board of Directors; Executive Committee, Chairman of Membership
- Newport News Bar Association; Board of Directors; Past-President
- Virginia Bar Association; Real Property Subcommittee, Eminent Domain Subcommittee
- Represented numerous shopping centers, retailers, and restaurants in eminent domain cases filed by VDOT, the federal government, localities, and utility providers
- Represented the owners of hotel properties, medical complexes, vacant parcels, storage facilities, and many other types of investment properties in eminent domain cases
- Represented numerous residential property owners in eminent domain cases filed by VDOT, localities, and utility providers
- Defended against a multimillion dollar breach of contract and fraud claim
Rate : $$$