Mark E. Anderson, an acclaimed litigator who leads McGuireWoods’ national trial team, represents clients in their most challenging matters in courts across the country. Throughout his 30-year career, he has prepared hundreds of complicated cases for trial and has served as lead appellate counsel in dozens of reported decisions.
Mark’s trial practice remains very active as reflected by the 26 trial weeks he has spent as lead counsel for seven jury trials in six different jurisdictions over the past two years.
His work in high-profile matters across industries has earned him inductions into the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
As a trial lawyer, Mark has brought a range of complex cases to jury verdict. His varied client base includes both commercial entities and healthcare practitioners and institutions involved in litigation.
Mark began his career handling jury trials throughout North Carolina, mentored by some of the state’s finest trial lawyers. Originally focusing on the malpractice arena, he is now a general purpose trial lawyer handling a broad array of matters including product liability, commercial disputes, financial contracts, toxic torts, mass torts, insurance coverage, as well as fire and explosion.
In addition to his North Carolina license, Mark is a member of the New York State Bar. With client engagements becoming more national in scope, he works out of the firm’s Raleigh and New York offices.
Mark has been honored in multiple years by Chambers USA on its list of America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, and Benchmark Litigation lists him as a Local Litigation Star. He has been recognized several times by Law & Politics as one of the Top 100 Attorneys in North Carolina and by Best Lawyers as Raleigh Lawyer of the Year for Professional Malpractice Law – Defendants and for Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants.
- Representation of and serve as lead trial counsel for a major financial institution in defense of claims arising out of the World Trade Center collapse, pending in the Southern District of New York.
- Representation of publicly traded company and board members in shareholder actions filed as a result of corporate merger agreements.
- Tried to jury verdict in excess of 50 medical malpractice cases in defense of healthcare practitioners and institutions.
- Serve as trial counsel to one of the nation’s largest packaged food companies in cases arising from a plant explosion.
- Served as lead appellate counsel in excess of 35 reported decisions.
- The University of North Carolina School of Law, JD, 1988
- Duke University, AB, 1985
- North Carolina
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Member, American Bar Association
- Trustee, Durham Academy, 2006-2012
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates; National Board Member
- Trustee and Founding Board Member, Durham Nativity School, 2001-2009
Rate : $$$$