Mark A. Brod is a Partner in Simpson Thacher’s Corporate Department, where he concentrates on capital markets transactions involving U.S. and European companies. Mark regularly represents companies, financial sponsors and investment banks in high yield financings, investment-grade debt offerings, equity offerings and other capital-raising transactions.
In addition, he regularly advises clients with respect to SEC matters, corporate governance, U.S. securities laws and general corporate matters. Before returning to our New York office in 2015, Mark was a Partner in our London office.
In 2017, Mark served as a Contributing Editor of “Getting the Deal Through: High-Yield Debt.” The publication provides advice and insight into the global high yield market, with chapters covering a range of international jurisdictions. Mark co-authored the opening segment titled “Global Overview,” and the “United States” chapter discussing recent activity in the high yield market.
Key matters on which Mark has worked include:
- KfW: underwriters’ counsel on 12 offerings of debt securities in 2016 collectively raising over $57 billion (equivalent)
- Walgreens Boots Alliance: issuer’s counsel for offering of $6 billion of investment grade notes
- The Travelers Companies: issuer’s counsel on offerings totaling $1.6 billion of investment grade notes in 2015-2017
- GFL Environmental: underwriters’ counsel on four offerings of high yield notes raising a total of $1.1 billion in 2015-2017
- The Michaels Companies: underwriters’ counsel on block trades raising a combined $1.4 billion in 2015-2017
- Roche Holdings: underwriters’ counsel on offerings of $6.7 billion of debt securities in 2014 and $2 billion of debt securities in 2015 and 2016
- NXP Semiconductors: issuer’s counsel for four high yield issuances in 2013 raising over $2.2 billion
- Travelex: issuer’s counsel for £350 million inaugural high yield issuance
- eircom: issuer’s counsel for €350 million high yield issuance
- Stork Technical Services: issuer’s counsel for €272.5 million inaugural high yield issuance
- Talanx AG: U.S. issuer’s counsel in its €800 million IPO listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange and concurrent 144A/Reg S offering
Mark received his J.D. from Harvard Law School and his B.A., magna cum laude, from Duke University. Mark was a Fulbright Scholar in Osaka, Japan, and also studied for one year in Berlin, Germany. Mark is admitted to practice in New York.
- Harvard Law School, 2001 J.D.
- Fulbright Scholar (Japan)
- Duke University, 1996 A.B.
- magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- American Bar Association
Admissions : New York 2002
Rate : $$$