Mark W. Cowing practices full time in the areas of eDiscovery and records management. He supports clients’ IT and compliance departments as well as their law departments and outside trial counsel. Mark’s clients cover a wide range of sizes and industries, from manufacturing to financial services and from technology to entertainment.
The depth of his involvement ranges from quick tasks, such as commenting on a draft hold notice, to long-term engagements as national eDiscovery counsel.
Recent projects that Mark has completed for clients include:
- Updating policies and procedures for records retention, legal holds, email management and disaster recovery;
- Promoting productive and defensible uses of mobile devices and social media;
- Defensibly disposing of documents and electronically stored information (ESI) that are no longer needed to conduct business or comply with legal obligations;
- Supporting outside trial counsel at a variety of firms in addition to Shook;
- Preparing (or commenting on drafts of) legal hold notices, protective orders, ESI protocols, case management orders and discovery manuals;
- Negotiating efficient production specifications;
- Ensuring data privacy and security during litigation;
- Proposing and selecting eDiscovery vendors;
- Defensibly eliminating irrelevant documents and ESI from collection and review;
Managing document review; and
- Creating and complying with budgets and alternative fee arrangements for the services listed above.
Consistent with Shook’s team approach, Mark understands the importance of assigning tasks to the most appropriate timekeeper level so that work is completed as efficiently and inexpensively as possible.
A recipient of the firm’s Stanley D. Davis Award for Excellence in Professional Development, Mark is a founding member and former chair of Shook’s Professional Development Committee.
He also has taught advanced legal writing at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law. His current focus in this area is on presenting complimentary onsite CLEs for existing and prospective clients on topics related to his practice.
- J.D., with distinction, University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law, 1983
- B.J., University of Missouri, 1978
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
Rate : $$$$