Mark-David Adams is a public finance attorney and tax counsel with over thirty years of experience in municipal finance, taxation and project finance law, with particular knowledge in a wide variety of public financings, the majority of which have been for Florida issuers, including Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach and Hillsborough Counties, the South Florida Water Management District, the Solid Waste Authority of Palm Beach County, Lakeland, Lake Park, Lake Worth, Punta Gorda, Coral Springs and the Town of Palm Beach, Florida.
Mark has participated in transactions involving the use of interest rate swaps, options, various forms of credit enhancement, commercial paper programs, forward contracts and other derivative products.
Mark’s experience as bond counsel and tax counsel also includes the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Shelby County (Memphis), Tennessee, The County of DuPage, Illinois, Craven County, North Carolina, the Rhode Island Health and Educational Building Corporation, The City of St. Louis, Missouri and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
Mark has served as counsel to banks, underwriters, governmental entities and mutual funds. Mark served as underwriters’ counsel for the first internet offering (on a negotiated sale basis) of the State of Tennessee, and has provided advice to the Comptroller of the State of Tennessee in connection with the promulgation of the State’s “Guidelines for Interest Rate and Forward Purchase Agreements.”
Mark has worked on financings for Miami International, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International, Lambert-St. Louis International and Palm Beach International Airports. Upon graduation from college, Mark was an intern in the Corporate Audit Unit for Phillip Morris Corporation. Additionally, Mark worked in the Exploration and Production Unit of Mobil Corporation.
Representative Experience :
- Served as Bond Counsel for $546,120,000 South Florida Water Management District Certificates of Participation, Series 2006, which was the largest certificate of participation transaction in Florida history; the first COP deal issued to finance environmental restoration and the recipient of The Bond Buyer’s national “Deal of the Year” Award
- Member of the team that caused the Florida Supreme Court to reverse its initial ruling on rehearing in Strand v. Escambia County
- Served as Disclosure Counsel for the $776 million Miami-Dade County, Florida Aviation Revenue Bonds, Series 2012A & B (Miami International Airport) (Hub of the Americas) and $621 million Broward County, Florida Airport System Revenue Bonds, Series 2012Q1 & Q2 (Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport)
- Obtained a private letter ruling from the Internal Revenue Service that permitted a major University to retroactively change its project financing accounting method
- Served as Bond Counsel and Tax Counsel for $122,005,000 Palm Beach County, Florida Public Improvement Revenue Bonds (Professional Sports Franchise Facility Project), Taxable Series 2015C and Tax-Exempt Series 2015D, which were issued to finance a joint spring training facility for two major league baseball teams
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, American Bar Association – Taxation Section
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- LL.M., in Taxation, New York University School of Law, 1986
- J.D., cum laude, University of Miami School of Law, 1985
- A.B., Lafayette College, 1982
Admissions : Florida, 1985
Rate : $$$