Mark W. DeLaquil is an experienced advocate who focuses on appellate practice, complex environmental and regulatory proceedings, and political law. Mark has been recognized by Chambers USA for environmental litigation (2015), and has been named by Law360 as one of the “Top 5 Environmental Attorneys Under the Age of 40” on two occasions. He has also been designated as a Super Lawyers “Rising Star” (2014).
- Represented state and private clients in Clean Air Act administrative proceedings and litigation, including preparing comments on proposed actions and contesting them in courts of appeals. Has extensive experience in actions concerning climate change, air quality standards, emission standards, preconstruction and operating permits, and state implementation plans.
- Represented a manufacturing company in an administrative proceeding defending the validity of its preconstruction and operating air permit.
- Counseled a leading electric utility on Clean Air Act compliance strategy and the potential legal implications of climate change for the U.S. industry.
- Represented parties in appeals throughout the United States and argued numerous appeals in the Second, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, and District of Columbia Circuits.
- Argued appeals on behalf of manufacturers in support of affirmance of a decision dismissing a citizen suit alleging violations of the Clean Air Act preconstruction permitting program.
- Argued an appeal in support of the reversal of a decision confirming labor arbitration awards.
- Represented clients in a full array of campaign finance matters, from counseling compliance to successfully challenging the enforcement of state campaign finance law.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction barring the enforcement of a state law requiring certain social welfare organizations to register as political committees.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction barring the enforcement of a state law barring coordination between candidates and unaffiliated organizations concerning issues advocacy.
- Argued an appeal seeking affirmance of a decision enjoining a criminal investigation into alleged state campaign finance violations.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2004, cum laude
- B.A., University of Florida, 2001, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2013
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- Virginia, 2004
Rate : $$$