Mark W. DeMonte has more than a decade of experience resolving complex and difficult disputes through creative problem solving, whether inside or outside of the courtroom. His work covers a variety of forums, from prelitigation settlement, litigation in state and federal courts, regulatory proceedings before administrative agencies, and in arbitration and mediation.
He focuses on the early assessment of potential claims, defenses, and settlement, as well as efficiently handling discovery (including the costs of e-discovery), pretrial motion practice, trial, post-trial, and appeals, when necessary.
Mark has represented plaintiffs and defendants in litigation matters involving claims for breach of contract, insurance, tortious interference, trade secret misappropriation, fraud, administrative claims, state and federal False Claims Acts, and founded upon the Fourth, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution.
He also has led or been part of teams that handled internal investigations conducted for clients to assess compliance with various state and federal laws and represents clients under investigation by state agencies and the Illinois Attorney General’s Office.
In addition, Mark regularly provides counseling on legislative matters and assists clients in a wide range of regulatory proceedings, which have involved approval of energy efficiency and demand response plans, smart grid, energy and capacity procurement, rate cases, rulemaking proceedings, and approval of cost recovery.
Mark serves on the Chicago Office’s pro bono committee and is a coordinator for the office’s New Lawyers Group.
- The Ohio State University (J.D. with honors 2004; Associate Editor, The Ohio State Law Journal, 2003-2004; Founding Executive Board Member, Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law, 2003);
- Illinois Wesleyan University (B.A. in History with honors 2000)
BAR ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar) and Northern District of Indiana;
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Robert L. Miller Jr., Chief Judge,
- U.S. District Court,
- Northern District of Indiana (2004-2006) and judicial extern to the Honorable R. Guy Cole Jr.,
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (Fall 2003)
- Hilco obtains affirmance of summary judgment in lawsuit brought by Patriot Group for $30 million in damages
- MPLX completes $5.5 billion public offering of Senior Notes
- The Ohio State University forms comprehensive first of its kind energy management program worth approximately $1.2 billion
- Hilco Trading obtains partial summary judgment dismissing claims related to $30 million loan
- MPLX establishes $1.7 billion at-the-market program
- Illinois American Water and American Lake Water obtain dismissal of breach of contract action
- Jones Day Chicago develops relationship with the Civic Consulting Alliance
- Ameren requests increase in electric delivery service rates for AmerenCILCO, AmerenCIPS, and AmerenIP
- Heinz defends against breach of contract
- Hewitt Associates defends against insurance coverage dispute brought by London excess carrier
- National City defends lease dispute.
Rate : $$$