Mark H. Kim is a corporate lawyer with Munger, Tolles & Olson. Mr. Kim practices corporate, business and securities law, with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, financings of technology companies, private equity investments, public equity offerings, joint ventures and corporate governance.
In his practice, Mr. Kim has been involved in many high-profile transactions on both buy-side and sell-side, including those in the gaming, media, entertainment, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, health care, energy, automobile, aircraft leasing, financial services, mining, oil and gas, agricultural, food product, and wine and spirits industries.
Among his numerous accolades, Mr. Kim has been named a “Top 100” lawyer in California by the Daily Journal, “Who’s Who in L.A. Law” and “Most Influential M&A Advisors” by the Los Angeles Business Journal, as well as “Top 20 Under 40” by the Daily Journal. His representative transactions include representing:
- View, Inc. with respect to a $1.1 billion investment by the SoftBank Vision Fund.
- Aircraft lessor Air Lease Corporation in its initial $2.8 billion capital raise and subsequent $923 million initial public offering, $1.9 billion in senior unsecured notes offerings, and $200 million convertible notes offering.
- Berkshire Hathaway in its $5 billion acquisition of Iscar Metalworking.
- Billionaire Phil Ruffin in his $775 million acquisition of the Treasure Island Hotel & Casino from MGM Mirage.
- MidAmerican Energy Holdings Co., a Berkshire Hathaway subsidiary, in its $230 million investment in BYD Co., a China-based automobile and rechargeable battery company.
- Siggi Hilmarsson in the sale of The Icelandic Milk and Skyr Corporation (maker of siggi’s yogurt) to French dairy firm Lactalis.
In addition, Mr. Kim advises numerous well-known founders of technology companies with respect to a wide range of business, personal and philanthropic matters.
Mr. Kim graduated magna cum laude from Harvard College in 1994 with a degree in biology and East Asian studies. Mr. Kim received his law degree in 1998 from Yale Law School, where he served as managing editor of the Yale Law Journal and student director for the Advocacy for Parents and Children legal clinic.
Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Kim served as a law clerk to the Honorable Pamela Ann Rymer of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Mr. Kim is a member of both the California and New York bars.
- Yale Law School (J.D., 1998); managing editor, Yale Law Journal, 1997-1998
- Harvard College (A.B., magna cum laude, 1994)
- Judge Pamela Ann Rymer, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1998-1999
Bar Admissions :
- New York
Rate : $$$$