Mark Rankin is a partner in the Tampa office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he leads the White Collar Criminal Defense and Governmental Investigations Practice Group. Mark concentrates his practice in the area of white collar criminal defense representing doctors, pharmacists, realtors, accountants, business owners, other professional individuals, and business entities at all stages of the criminal justice process, including subpoenas, state and federal grand jury investigations, trial, and appeal.
Mark primarily represents clients in a wide range of criminal matters, including:
- Medicare and medical fraud;
- mortgage and accounting fraud;
- health care investigations;
- money laundering;
- regulatory enforcement;
- SEC investigations; and,
- internal investigations.
Mark has handled numerous federal and state criminal cases involving narcotics, firearms, immigration, counterfeiting, RICO, and other areas of the state and federal criminal codes. He also represents doctors and physician practices in defending qui tam suits, responding to civil investigative demands and other matters related to government regulations.
As a former Assistant Federal Public Defender, Mark served as trial and appellate counsel to criminal defendants charged in a wide range of cases including fraud offenses, drug offenses, immigration matters, and firearms offenses. Mark is a frequent lecturer and has written several articles on criminal topics.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ACTIVITIES:
- Florida Bar Federal Court Practice Committee (2017-present)
- Federal Roundtable Subcommittee
- Chair, National Seminar on the Federal Sentencing Guidelines (2012-2015)
- Criminal Justice Act Panel, Middle District of Florida (2006-present)
- Herbert G. Goldburg-Ronald K. Cacciatore Criminal Law American Inn of Court (2003-2016)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (2003-present)
- Board of Directors (2007-2009)
- White Collar Crime Committee
- Co-Chair, Sentencing Committee (2009-2013)
- Tampa Bay Chapter of the Federal Bar Association (2003-present)
- Board of Directors (2006-2009, 2011-2015, 2017-present)
- Chair, Criminal and Government Investigations Practice Committee (2017-present)
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1999
- Old Dominion University, B.S. Criminal Justice, magna cum laude, 1996
Rate : $$$