Mark G. Rackers is a senior associate in the Business Trial practice group in the firm’s San Diego office and a member of the firm’s Mortgage Banking and Food and Beverage Teams. Mr. Rackers is an experienced trial attorney who represents clients in a variety of business disputes, with a special emphasis on lender liability, real estate, consumer class action defense, privacy and unfair competition.
Mr. Rackers’ practice focuses on complex business litigation with an emphasis on the financial services industry. He spent two years in Wells Fargo Bank’s legal department, where he managed a portfolio of mortgage, student loan, bankruptcy, credit card, and auto finance matters in all areas of litigation, including trial. He also counseled the Bank on risk management and compliance with state and federal consumer protection regulations, including regulations relating to TILA, RESPA, TCPA, FDCPA and FCRA.
At Sheppard Mullin, Mr. Rackers continues to counsel financial institutions on compliance matters and has successfully represented clients in both state and federal court against claims of fraud, breach of contract, unfair business practices and negligence. His experience includes all aspects of pre-trial practices, dispositive motions, and briefing before the California Courts of Appeal and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Rackers also has experience as lead trial counsel, obtaining complete victories in bench and jury trials, and has successfully argued before the California Court of Appeal. Mr. Rackers serves on the firm’s Pro Bono Committee and heads pro bono efforts for the San Diego office.
- J.D., University of San Diego, 2007, Executive Chair, Appellate Moot Court Board; Moot Court National Team
- M.A., San Diego State University, 2003
- B.A., University of California, San Diego, 1996
- U.S. District Court or of the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Lead trial counsel in jury trial relating to a property/easement dispute, where he won a favorable result for the client
- Extern for the Honorable William Q. Hayes, United States District Judge for the Southern District of California
- Intern, California Attorney General’s Office, Criminal Appellate Division arguing cases in the California Courts of Appeal
- Assisted families with finalizing adoptions and requesting specialized care rate assessments through pro bono partnership with Public Counsel Adoptions Project
- Board Member, Legal Aid Society of San Diego, Inc.
- Member, State Bar of California
- Member, Louis M. Welsh Chapter of the American Inns of Court
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
Rate : $$$$