For more than two decades, Mark S. Shapiro has represented insurance carriers in disputes, including bad faith, complex coverage, and ERISA claims. Frequently sought out for his views on trends in the insurance litigation landscape, Mark assists clients in developing measures to avoid costly and potentially damaging litigation.
Mark serves a broad client base, including major national and international insurers and reinsurers. He has defended insurance companies from bad faith litigation under both first- and third-party coverages arising from motor vehicle, commercial general liability, property, and employer liability policy contracts.
His third-party bad faith experience includes excess judgment and proactive tender cases, Coblentz/Cunningham agreements, multiple claimants with short limits, wrongful coverage denial and/or failure to defend cases, and premature exhaustion of limits for one insured to the detriment of another. His first-party bad faith experience includes claims of lowballing, delay, improper use of appraisal/EUO/SIU, and wrongful coverage denial.
Mark’s coverage experience includes litigating the insurer’s duty to defend, construction defects, allocation of damages where multiple carriers are involved, and drop down of coverage. He has extensive experience litigating coverage and rescission claims under life, health, and disability coverages.
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1991, National Moot Court Team; Member Legal Writing Instructor
- B.A., Swarthmore College, 1988, with distinction
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Professional Experience :
- University of Miami, Faculty, 2015-Present; Adjunct Professor, 1996-2015
- Legal and Ethical Implications of Executive Decision Making
- Corporate Compliance
- Law of Risk: Identifying and Protecting Against Risk in the Workplace
- Introduction to Business Law
- The Florida Bar, Member
- Dade County Bar Association, Past Board Member of Young Lawyers Division, 1993-1999; Past President, 1998-1999; Past Board Member, 1999-2002
Rate : $$$$