Mark E. Slaughter’s practice includes business sale, merger and acquisitions; formations and transactions involving corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies; commercial real estate; tax planning and tax controversies; trusts and estates, wills, estate administration and planning.
Mark represents numerous family owned and closely held businesses and counsels those companies in connection with their day to day business matters from formation through their different stages of development to their sale to third parties or transfer to the next family generation. Mark has recently served as chairman of the Board of Governors of the Virginia State Bar Business Law Section.
Mark also counsels larger companies throughout many significant events in their corporate and business lives such as asset and stock acquisitions of other companies, stock sales and asset sales, mergers and tax free reorganizations.
- Represented large community bank and its subsidiaries in all commercial aspects of its business, including: multimillion dollar acquisitions of insurance, real estate, mortgage, title, and property management companies through mergers, joint ventures and reorganizations including advice regarding all tax issues.
- Represented seller and negotiated all tax aspects in a multimillion dollar sale of real property and four business enterprises located thereon.
- Represented buyer and its parent company in multimillion dollar acquisition of office building and warehouse including SBA loan, environmental and lease issues.
- Obtained 75% concession at Appeals level of IRS after filing suit in United States Tax Court in case involving estate valuation of family limited partnership holding numerous real properties.
- Achieved reversal in Virginia Supreme Court of Circuit Court’s holding that the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Act preempted a municipality’s authority to impose its meal tax on the sale of alcoholic beverages in restaurants.
- Represented numerous privately held companies engaged in a wide range of industries in their acquisitions of other companies and in the sale of their businesses to public and private companies.
- Represented numerous companies in various commercial contract matters, including: commercial leases, distribution and supply agreements, service contracts, licensing agreements and employment contracts.
- Represented new businesses in entity selection, formation and governance.
- Developed and implemented strategy to pass closely held business valued at more than $10 million to trusts for a family over a period of years to substantially minimize estate tax.
- LL.M., College of William & Mary, 1989
- J.D., College of William & Mary, 1976
- B.A., Duke University, cum laude, 1972
- Virginia Beach Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Business, Tax, and Trust and Estates Sections
- Norfolk Portsmouth Bar Association
- Hampton Roads Tax Forum
- Rotary Club of Hampton Roads
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Central Business District Association: Board of Directors; Executive Committee
- Virginia Beach Bar Foundation: Chairman
- Virginia Beach Bar Association: Past Presidents’ Council,Executive Committee
- Westin Residences Condominium Association: Board of Directors
- Virginia State Bar, Business Law Section, Board of Governors: Past Chairman
- Virginia Beach Judicial Recommendation Panel, Past Chairman
- Virgina Beach Bar Association: Past President and Director
- Served as Special Assistant to City Attorney, City of Virginia Beach, for tax cases
Rate : $$$$