Mark K. Suri devotes the majority of his practice to all aspects of intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, unfair competition, and trade secrets. Mr. Suri also has extensive litigation experience, which he uses to help clients avoid litigation.
As part of his intellectual property practice, Mr. Suri also works on a variety of licensing matters and other transactions, including mergers and acquisitions.
Mr. Suri has represented many clients in a wide variety of industries, including publishing, insurance, lighting, graphic design, software development and consulting, and e-commerce, as well as clients in manufacturing industries such as restaurant equipment, adhesives, automotive, machine tool, athletic equipment, furniture, and plastics.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, Mr. Suri was a name partner at a Chicago intellectual property boutique. Prior to that, he was a partner at a large Chicago law firm.
Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Suri served as a law clerk to the Honorable Michael J. Melloy, Chief Bankruptcy Judge, Northern District of Iowa.
His law school accomplishments include having been a member of the Order of the Coif and writing and editing for the Journal of Corporation Law.
Professional Affiliations :
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
- American Chemical Society
Representative Matters :
- The patent owner in a patent infringement case on lighting technology that resulted in a $23 million jury verdict and a finding of willful infringement against an auto manufacturer.
- The patent owner in a patent infringement case involving hospital bed technology. After extensive discovery, Mr. Suri successfully settled the case and obtained a substantial recovery for his client.
- A defendant in a copyright infringement dispute concerning designs on clothing that included Olympic symbols. A dismissal of the case was obtained soon after it was filed.
- A gaming company in a dispute against another gaming company for trademark infringement. A very favorable resolution on behalf of the trademark owner, Mr. Suri’s client, was obtained.
- J.D., summa cum laude, The University of Iowa College of Law, 1988
- M.S., Chemistry, The University of Iowa, 1985
- B.A., magna cum laude, Chemistry and Biology, Luther College, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Rate : $$$$