A former Department of Justice prosecutor, Markenzy Lapointe has a varied practice that includes high-stakes commercial, products liability and professional malpractice disputes, as well as criminal investigations.
Mark has a wealth of trial, arbitration and mediation experience in state and federal courts, and works closely with clients to achieve the best and most cost-effective solution. He successfully defends corporations and individuals in commercial disputes, including class actions, business divorces, and high exposure products liability.
He also defends professional malpractice actions. Because of his substantial jury trial experience, he is routinely asked to present and test case themes and strategies before mock juries to help assess viability at trial.
He has also defended corporations and individuals in criminal and quasi-criminal investigations. His investigatory experience includes leading a confidential internal factual investigation for a company.
Additionally, Mark’s pro bono practice includes first-chairing one of the longest pro bono Federal Torts Claims Act trials in South Florida.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Co-chaired the defense of a billion dollar professional negligence suit alleging legal malpractice in connection with securities and accounting issues. After a 2-month jury trial, the case concluded to client’s satisfaction.
- Defended a class action on behalf of a municipality where the class sought millions of dollars from the city. After vigorously defending the case through discovery and full evidentiary class certification hearing, Mark reached class settlement within statutory limit.
- Defended claims in business divorce where client faced potential loss of business upon partner’s multimillion dollar claims for partnership breach and defamation. Mark’s vigorous defense led to a complete dismissal from the business partner.
- J.D., Florida State University College of Law, 1999
- B.S., Finance, Florida State University, 1993
ADMISSIONS : Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
CLERKSHIPS : Hon. Harry Lee Anstead, Florida Supreme Court
Rate : $$$