Marlee Waxelbaum works with corporate clients to find pragmatic solutions to complex commercial disputes and appeals in federal and state courts. Marlee is an associate in the firm’s financial services litigation practice.
She has defended consumer-facing companies of all types in individual cases and class actions in many states, including Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Nevada, Ohio, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.
Marlee’s practice includes representing national, regional and local banks, nonbank lenders, and mortgage-servicing companies in federal and state litigation, including in claims for wrongful foreclosure and claims under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and Regulation V, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Truth in Lending Act (TILA) and Regulation Z, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) and Regulation X, other federal and state consumer protection statutes, and common law.
Marlee also represents national insurance companies in federal and state litigation, including claims under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). Marlee has represented companies and individuals in a variety of commercial litigation practice areas, including bankruptcy, construction, intellectual property, real estate and related complex litigation matters.
Representative Matters :
- Represents national mortgage servicing companies in defense of FCRA class action claims brought in Maryland, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Ohio state and federal courts.
- Defending a major national insurance company in contract disputes with providers and in ERISA lawsuits involving claims for benefits.
- Represented a leading boiler designer and manufacturer in multiparty arbitration involving claims related to the supply and installation of a coal-fired boiler.
- Counseled a major commercial real estate company in construction and lease disputes with commercial tenants.
- Advised a national retailer in state and federal court actions in South Carolina arising out of a dispute over a construction build-out and claims for breach of contract.
Professional Experience :
- Judicial Intern to the Honorable Richard W. Story of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, 2011
- Programs Fellow, The American Constitution Society for Law and Policy, 2009-2010
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2013, Columns Editor, Virginia Law Weekly
- University of Georgia, B.A., magna cum laude, with high honors, 2009, International Affairs and Political Science; Foundation Fellowship
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York, Georgia
Rate : $$$$