Marta D. Harting is a state and local regulatory and government affairs attorney. She represents clients before the Maryland General Assembly and executive branch, as well as Maryland counties and municipalities, in government affairs matters involving healthcare, insurance, public utilities and energy, manufacturing, information technology, education, hospitality, entertainment, and gaming.
Marta’s regulatory practice focuses on healthcare, insurance, public utility, alcoholic beverages regulation, and gaming. As a Maryland government affairs attorney, Marta is dedicated to helping clients to solve problems and create opportunities through the legislative process.
She generates success for her clients with thoughtful strategy, expertise in the legislative process, extensive relationships within the legislative and executive branches, and subject matter expertise.
Marta represents commercial businesses, nonprofits and trade associations, and lobbies on behalf of clients spanning a wide range of industries and activities, including clients engaged in healthcare delivery, insurance, financial services, public utility and energy services, manufacturing, information technology, education, hospitality, entertainment, and gaming.
Marta also assists clients in securing appropriations in the state’s operating and capital budgets, and represents clients before the State Board of Public Works on state contract and other matters.
In her state regulatory practice, Marta handles regulatory matters on behalf of applicants and interested parties under Maryland’s certificate of need law, counselling clients and handling regulatory matters across the full spectrum of regulated entities and projects, including :
- Acute care general hospital projects
- Ambulatory surgery center projects
- Specialty hospital projects (including psychiatric and rehabilitation)
- Home health and hospice agency projects
- Alcohol and drug abuse intermediate care projects
She also counsels clients on healthcare licensing, Medicaid, and other matters within the Maryland Department of Health. She counsels and represents insurance companies, health maintenance organizations, insurance producers, and premium finance companies before the Maryland Insurance Administration on a variety of regulatory matters, including market conduct examinations, financial examinations, rate and form filings, and regulatory compliance issues.
Marta represents electric, gas, telecommunications, and water utilities before the Maryland Public Service Commission, including rate proceedings, merger proceedings, franchise matters, renewable energy matters, corporate transaction approvals, and certificate of public convenience and necessity proceedings.
In addition, Marta counsels clients on matters involving alcoholic beverage regulation and gaming regulation. Marta has substantial trial and appellate advocacy experience, including handling cases before Maryland’s highest court, the Court of Appeals, and lower-level appellate courts.
Her appellate victories in the Court of Appeals include a case upholding the use of named-driver exclusions in commercial automobile liability policies in Maryland, and a case invalidating the Medicaid program’s use of a cost-benefit analysis in coverage decisions relating to organ transplants in children.
- Represented a brewer in passing legislation to significantly increase the state’s cap on taproom sales to enable the construction of a large new brewery and tap room
- Represented a health maintenance organization in passing legislation to exempt HMOs from the certificate of need requirement for ambulatory surgery facilities
- Represented a hotel company in passing legislation (and overriding a veto by the governor) clarifying the application of the state sales tax to hotel booking transactions through an accommodations intermediary, representing the first time a state passed such legislation in the country
- Represented a property and casualty insurer in passing legislation to afford trade secret protection to rating methodologies filed with the Maryland Insurance Administration.
- J.D.Order of the CoifUniversity of Maryland School of Law1989
- B.A.magna cum laudeUniversity of Maryland, Baltimore County1986
Bar Admissions : Maryland
Professional Memberships and Activities :
- Member, Litigation Counsel of America
- Graduate, The Leadership Program of the Greater Baltimore Committee, 2002
- Fellow, American Bar Association
- Pro bono representations before the Maryland General Assembly include the Maryland Food Bank and the Seed School of Baltimore
- Member, board of trustees, Maryland Zoo
- Member, board of trustees, Handel Choir of Baltimore
- Former member, board of directors, Business Volunteers Maryland.
Rate : $$$