Martha B. Chovanes has spent her more than 25-year career serving as a trusted bankruptcy adviser to a range of clients. From retail and real estate to the food and equipment licensing industries, she has developed a robust practice and clients turn to her to resolve their most complex issues.
With a practice focused in business reorganization and bankruptcy, Martha has handled matters in bankruptcy courts throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware. Martha represents Chapter 11 debtors, creditors’ committees and Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 trustees in the full gamut of bankruptcy matters.
She has developed a reputation for her knowledge in liquidations, reorganizations, receiverships, assignments for the benefits creditors, business restructurings and workouts. In addition, she represents purchasers in bankruptcy sales and other constituencies in state court insolvency proceedings and preference litigation.
Representative Matters :
- Represented Creditors’ Committee in NJOY, Inc., an e-cigarette and vaping company, in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Representing Creditors’ Committee in Prime Metals & Alloys, Inc. in the Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Represented Creditors’ Committee in Mantara, et. al., in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Represented CRV Precast Construction in its successful reorganization in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey.
- Represented Chapter 11 Debtor PNG Ventures, Inc. et. al., a successful Chapter 11 reorganization, in the District of Delaware.
- Representing Chapter 11 Trustee in Baltimore Grill, Inc., an iconic Atlantic City restaurant in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey.
Martha was a member of Fox’s Financial Restructuring & Bankruptcy practice from 1988 to 1995. Prior to law school, Martha worked in the insurance industry in Boston, Massachusetts.
Martha currently serves as treasurer for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference and was a subcommittee chair for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Bankruptcy Conference Local Rules Committee. She was also integral to various updates to Chapter 25 of the Collier’s Practice Manual covering “Appointment of Chapter 7 Trustee.”
Martha is dedicated to aiding her community and works closely with St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Ardmore, Pennsylvania. She has served the church as a Vestry Member, Capital Campaign Committee Member, Chairperson of the Stewardship Committee and is currently a co-coordinator for St. Mary’s IHN program which serves homeless families in the community.
- Villanova University School of Law
- Drexel University
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
BAR ADMISSIONS : Pennsylvania, New Jersey
Rate : $$$