Martin Hall joined Ropes & Gray LLP in 1986 and became a partner in 1994. He has been the chair of the firm’s private client group since 2006. Martin maintains a broad-based practice that covers all aspects of estate and individual tax planning, including sophisticated wealth transfer strategies and charitable giving techniques. His clients include public company executives, private business owners, and other high net worth individuals and families, both domestic and international.
In addition, he advises the development offices of numerous universities, hospitals and other non-profit organizations with respect to planned giving, gift acceptance policies and the structuring of major gifts, and has counselled the charitable trust departments of several national financial institutions. Martin is also the trustee of numerous private and charitable trusts.
Martin has co-authored two books on estate planning and charitable giving, has written numerous articles and papers in these areas, and has been quoted on charitable tax matters in The Wall Street Journal.
He is a frequent speaker at national conferences and client-sponsored seminars, including the Silicon Valley Foundation and Stanford University Office of Planned Giving, Conference on Charitable Giving, and the SSgA Charitable Asset Management Annual Planned Giving Conference. He also chaired the New England Estate Planning Conference for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. from 2007-2012.
Martin is active in numerous professional bodies, including the American Bar Association and the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, and has held various leadership positions. Before moving to Boston, Martin was a Fellow and Lecturer in Law at the University of Chicago Law School (1982-83).
- JD, summa cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 1986
- MA (Law), First Class Honours, Cambridge University, 1981
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts, 1986
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS :
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation (Chair: Estate and Gift Tax Committee, 2008-10; Member: Estate and Gift Tax Committee, Fiduciary Income Tax Committee, and Exempt Organizations Committee)
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (Elected: 2002; Chair: Charitable Planning and Exempt Organizations Committee 2010-13; Member: Charitable Planning and Exempt Organizations Committee; Estate & Gift Tax Committee)
- Boston Estate Planning Council
- Boston Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Planned Giving Group of New England
- Partnership for Philanthropic Planning
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC ACTIVITIES :
- President, The ACTEC Foundation (2014-2017)
- Director, Emerald Necklace Conservancy, Boston, Massachusetts (2015 –present)
- Chair, Professional Advisors Committee, The Boston Foundation (2001-2007)
- Board Chair and Director, Ellis Memorial and Eldridge House, Boston (2000-2007, 1995-2000)
Rate : $$$$