Martin Fineman has tried cases for over 35 years in the areas of contract, corporate, telecommunications, securities, intellectual property, and international law with an emphasis on class action cases. He has tried numerous cases before judges, juries and arbitrators, and has argued appeals to the California Supreme Court, California Courts of Appeal, and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Martin also is a commercial and securities arbitrator through the American Arbitration Association, a Judge Pro Tem and a Judicial Arbitrator for the California Superior Court, and a Mediator for the California Court of Appeal.
In the telecommunications realm, Martin argued the principal 9th Circuit case establishing Section 332 law (MetroPCS, Inc., v. City & County of San Francisco), and tried two of the main Section 332 cases to come to trial in California (T-Mobile West Corp. v. City of Huntington Beach and MetroPCS, Inc. v. City & County of San Francisco) and tried the first case in the country brought under 47 U.S.C. §1455.
In the intellectual property area, Martin has tried or litigated numerous patent, trademark, trade secret, and non-disclosure agreement cases. Martin’s clients include: adidas, AutoNation, MetroPCS, NextG Networks, South San Joaquin Irrigation District, T-Mobile, and Yangtze Optical Fibre & Cable Co.
- Former Partner, Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison
- Former Partner, Musick, Peeler & Garrett LLP
- Former Judicial Law Clerk, Hon. Robert Boochever, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
Professional & Community Activities:
- Securities Litigation Subcommittee on Accounting Issues, American Bar Association, 1990-1995
- Joint Advisory Committee on Continuing Education of the Bar; Former Chair, Civil Litigation Subcommittee; Former Consultant – California State Bar, 1988-present
- Judge Pro Tem and Judicial Arbitrator, San Francisco County Superior Court, 1990-present
- Judicial Mediator, 1st Appellate District, California Court of Appeal
- Chair/Vice Chair, California State Bar Committee on Federal Courts, 2001-2004
- Chair, Continuing Education Committee, Appellate Courts Section, Bar Association of San Francisco, 1995-1996
- Past Member, firmwide Commercial Litigation Department Steering Committee, 1995-2005
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, 1982
- M.B.A., University of California, Berkeley, Haas School of Business, 1982
- B.S., Business Administration, University of California, Berkeley, 1978
Rate : $$$$